Pimoroni 2040 tiny isn't working

Hi, I bought a Pimoroni 2040 Tiny 8MB version. I was using it with CircuitPython on Thonny, and one day it started to not work. When I connected it to the computer, it displayed a Google page and a text file. I wasn’t able to get new CircuitPython using Thonny or uploading a .uf2 file. On Thonny, there was an error on line 171. With the .uf2 file, I wasn’t unable to upload the file. I tried pressing various buttons while connecting it to the PC. I tried pressing the reset button while connecting it to the computer, and now the Pimoroni doesn’t show up in the file manager or in Thonny, only in the device manager with the name RP2 Boot. Windows 11 doesn’t recognize what it is. On Mac, the same thing happens. It seems to be broken. Normally, I would send it to the place where I bought it, but it is soldered in my project, and I can’t get it out. Is there a way to use this Pimoroni again?

I would flash nuke it.
Raspberry Pi Documentation - Raspberry Pi Pico and Pico W
Then re flash it with Pimoroni’s Tiny uf2 file. Then see if you can connect via Thonny.

There is a link to an 8mb flash_nuke uf2 file in this thread. It’s likely a better one to use with an 8mb Tiny.
PicoVector Fonts/Text for Micropython 1.20.6 Update (Tufty 2040) - Support - Pimoroni Buccaneers

It’s normal for it not to show up as a drive in Windows if it has been flashed with Micro Python. It will with Circuit python, but not Micro Python.

And don’t forget to change the Interpreter in Thonny from Circuit Python, to Micro Python (RP2040). Lower right hand corner.

Ok, so to flash nuke I have to put this .uf2 file on Pimoroni memory. Now how to do this I don’t see Pimoromi memory. Only in device menager it is unknown device and windows doesen’t know what it is. I have no drivers for it too, and it does that only when i don’t hold boot button. Like the pimoroni is broken and it doesen’t comunicate with computer. Is there a way to flash nuke it then?

Do you have any other Pico / RP2040 devices connected to the PC?
I have a RGB Keypad running Circuit Python connected to my daily user PC.
If its plugged in, any other Pico shows up as “unknown device” when plugged in in boot mode. It’s was a real PITA, until I figured out what was going on.

To flash nuke your Tiny, you press and hold down the Boot button while plugging in its USB cable. When you release the Boot button it should show up as RP2. You then drag and drop the flash_nuke .uf2 file to it. It will then reboot and disappear in file manager.

No, i don’t. But I have other Pimoroni 2040 tiny, but 2MB.

But the problem is that when I press and hold down the Boot button while plugging in its USB cable, nothing shows up in the file manager; only in the device manager, it is an unknown device without drivers. When I hold the Boot button and connect my Pimoroni, all LEDs on my device are on, but when I release the Boot button, only the red one is on, and it isn’t bright either. It seems to me like my Pimoroni is broken, or the USB communication isn’t working

Do you have another PC to try it on?
And a different USB cable to try?+

I tried on Mac, and it didn’t work either. Other cables too. Before, it was working completely fine.

Best guess is a hardware fault / failure?

Nah, I’ll text the shop where I bought it from; maybe they would do something. Thanks for trying to help.

1 Like