PiratePython - Pirate Radio

Thanks Hel, now just get on software dept’s case about making sure any updates are actually LIVE/Working in the future. Since the kit is now solder-less it is a bigger issue as more users with less knowledge will likely get the kits. (not really the users job anyway)

Hello, just in case anyone is interested, I have built and I maintain an alternative software to power the Pirate Radio.
It is also made to go straight to your SD card.
It works with Pirate Radio and you can also use it with the Pirate audio hardware. I use it both in the Pirate Radio and with a kit that I installed in an old radio, with battery.

I try to document it as well as I can to make it easy to install and use.
Give it a try if you fell like it, I like feedback.

2 Likes

first, I want to say thank you for your work in creating this. I think it’s awesome.

I have a couple of questions.

1. is there supposed to be crackling when changing stations?

2. I cannot log into it by either http://pirateradio.local:8080 or by the IP address. did i do something wrong?

I have gotten question 2 figured out.

new question:

how do I add new radio stations?

and how do I get it to use my phones mobile hot spot?

Hello @pbhound and sorry for my very late reply. I did not receive the notification.

There is a new version that should solve all your questions along with better explanations and better features.

It now does radios, podcasts and bluetooth speaker. And has a 3D printable case.

The crackling is definitely not part of the package though :-)

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your great work. I tried your latest image and it worked basically out of the box with my pirate radio hardware. That’ really nice because I am just starting tinkering with the hardware at the moment.
Nevertheless I have some questions - maybe I did something wrong?!?
The buttons provided with the radio kit are not working as expected/marked on the case. That would probably not be a problem, but none of the buttons works as ´Volume Down´ - I can only increase the Volume…
Second thing is, that I can’t see the device when I scan for new bluetooth devices. Do i have to activate that feature somewhere? I really would like to use it also as a bluetooth speaker.
When everything is working fine I would like to upgrade the kit I bought to a full blown stereo radio with a battery like you did - thanks for the inspiration!
F6C

Hi Kumala, this sounds great. However, I was unable to get it to work…is it compatible only with Pi Zero W 2, or will it also work on an original Pi Zero W?

Agreed…they just told me it was “going to be end of lifed”, but I’d argue that they more or less gave up on supporting it even when still selling it. Not pleased, Pimoroni products have no transparency about support/life.

@kumala Thanks for not preserving the phatbeat branch when deprecating the older version, SO appreciated…