This is a little unzip-to-your-SD-card software image for Pirate Radio, designed to make it simple and easy to get your new radio kit set up. If you don’t want to make customisations to your radio, and you don’t want to spend hours setting up Raspbian and our software from scratch, then this is the OS for you!
This is still very much a beta release, but it’s coming along nicely! Features include:
- VU and button support for the pHAT BEAT included in the Pirate Radio kit
- Ability to play internet radio stations, and also MP3 files stored on the SD card
- An HTTP interface to control your radio- http://pirateradio.local:8080 (password:
- Stateless RAM disk image, so it should never corrupt when powered off
- Slightly better VU meter response/scaling (more improvements to come)
To get started, grab the zip file from below and extract it onto a blank SD card. Some users have reported problems with larger cards, so ideally try 8GB or 16GB, but this OS will also fit on a 2GB or 1GB card!
- Investigate USB keyboard/input device support
- Retrieve VLC volume and scale VU meter accordingly
vlc_volumeoption to settings.txt
vlc_http_passwordoption to settings.txt
- Investigate garbled audio on startup- VLC starting too soon?
- Maybe fixed the WiFi issue this time?
- Fixed a bug in phatbeat controls
- phatbeatd now handles VU meter updates and buttons
- Updated to kernel 4.9.79
- Added full
wgetutility (only really useful for debugging)
- Fixed WiFi crashing issue
- Generate unique host key on first boot
Please post any questions, requests, bugs and quibbles below!