Problems with DISPLAY OTRON HAT and new RASPBERRY PI 3 B PLUS

Hi, I’m using with success your Display Otron Hat with a Raspberry PI 3 running with Jessie (4.14.29-v7+ #1101). Now I want move to the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus.

I upgraded my raspbian (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rpi-update) and changed the board using the same SD.

After the restart I receive the message: “IOError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error”.

I’ve already reinstalled the libraries for the display otron but the result is the same.

Are there problems with the new raspberry?

Please let me know.

Thanks

There’s no issue with the Pi 3 B+ that I’m aware of- and I’ve successfully tested the Display-o-Tron HAT with one.

It could be a contact issue, have you pushed the HAT down firmly onto your new Pi?

Hi, yes, I did it and putting back the display on the old RPI3, it works again…

Before we write it off as a hardware issue with your new Pi, you should probably use apt to undo whatever rpi-update might have done, since despite being named rpi-update it’s definitely not an update utility and might have broken things with pre-release firmware.

Try:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
sudo reboot

And see if anything changes.

Done: rebooting the new PI3 doesn’t boot and the red led blink…
Fortunately I’ve used a cloned SD, so I regenerated the SD and boot again with the new PI3B+
Obviously the result is the same…
I boot the new PI without mounting the DISPLAY and the resukt is the same:

Traceback (most recent call last):
** File “/home/pi/myhome/myhome4b.py”, line 18, in **
** from dothat import backlight # display**
** File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dothat/backlight.py”, line 1, in **
** import sn3218, colorsys, math**
** File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sn3218.py”, line 114, in **
** enable_leds(0b111111111111111111)**
** File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sn3218.py”, line 62, in enable_leds**
** [enable_mask & 0x3F, (enable_mask >> 6) & 0x3F, (enable_mask >> 12) & 0X3F])**
IOError: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

Please, let me know.

Thanks

You should grab the latest Raspbian NOOBS or otherwise from here and try it: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Sorry, but I don’t understand… If I don’t use the display, all works fine; It seems that when I use the python library related to the display, its generate the error.

Why I should generate a new OS starting from NOOBS if all other programs work fine?
My project is a little bit complex so I need more time to install all tools on a new raspbian istance and test again…

You started it worked fine on the Pi 3, but not on the Pi 3 B+, that’s a pretty good indicator that there’s an issue in the underlying operating system. There might not be, but until software is properly eliminated, it makes no sense to point the finger at hardware. (software is a lot easier to change)

Since the latest officially released kernel is 4.9.80 and you’re running an unreleased, untested, beta 4.14.29 and were unable to revert to the tested one the easy way, trying with a fresh install of NOOBS or Raspbian is the only other option.

Ok, thanks to clarify. I will proceed but I need more time for this test. I will keep you informed. Thanks

I wonder if a simple kernel update from Jessie just doesn’t suffice for running the Pi 3 B+. You might have to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade too, but that tends to take a long time.

Before you try Raspbian Stretch, it might be worth trying:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

Edit; Also if you can get your hands on another Pi 3B+ (from a friend or otherwise) to test your software with, that would also help. If it works, you can point the finger at your Pi 3B+ being faulty- which is uncommon, but not impossible!

Hi, I applied your sugegst:

• downloaded NOOB and flashed on teh sd
  • installed Raspbian
  • customized + update + upgrade + rpi-update
  • installed pimoroni display otron hat python libraries
  • executed a demo sketch

same result…

pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/displayotron/examples/dothat/basic $ sudo ./back.py*
** File “./backlight.py”, line 6, in **
** import dothat.backlight as backlight**
** File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dothat/backlight.py”, line 1, in **
** [enable_mask & 0x3F, (enable_mask >> 6) & 0x3F, (enable_mask >> 12) & 0X3F])**

Help!

I applyied also this suggest with no succes… Unfortunately I’m not able to test on a 2th PI3b+

Don’t run pi-update!

Hi, I’ve executed another test:

• regenerated sd starting from NOOBS
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
  • sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  • sudo reboot
  • installed Pimoroni Python library (curl -sS get.pimoroni.com/displayotron | bash)
  • installed hardware
  • executed test with same result:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/displayotron/examples/dothat/basic ls -la** **totale 32** **drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 mar 24 09:00 .** **drwxr-xr-x 4 pi pi 4096 mar 24 09:00 ..** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 468 mar 24 09:00 backlight.py** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 962 mar 24 09:00 graph.py** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 272 mar 24 09:00 hello_world.py** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 808 mar 24 09:00 ipaddr.py** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 1071 mar 24 09:00 room.py** **-rwxr-xr-x 1 pi pi 1595 mar 24 09:00 touch.py** **pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/displayotron/examples/dothat/basic sudo ./back*
** File “./backlight.py”, line 6, in **
** import dothat.backlight as backlight**
pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/displayotron/examples/dothat/basic $

ofcourse installing back the hardware on the “old” PI3, everithing work well.

Thanks for narrowing it down. Do you have any other HATs/pHATs with i2c enabled to test? Looks like the i2c pins/hardware on your Pi 3 B+ is faulty.

What do you see if you run i2cdetect -q 1 on the Pi 3B+ with the HAT installed?

Did you order your new Pi from us? It might be time to email support@pimoroni.com and request a replacement Pi 3B+.

Hi, this is the output of the command on the RPI3B+:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -q 1
WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
I will probe file /dev/i2c-1 using quick write commands.
I will probe address range 0x03-0x77.
Continue? [Y/n] Y
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

and this on my old RPI3:
gv@rpi3mh:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -q 1
WARNING! This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
I will probe file /dev/i2c-1 using quick write commands.
I will probe address range 0x03-0x77.
Continue? [Y/n] Y
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- 2c – -- –
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- 54 – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

You could be right about i2c fault…

I bought RPI3B+ on PI-Hat site and I think that now it will be a little be complex explain all the tests we have done…

You could, perhaps, link this forum thread?

I haven’t come across a Pi that’s faulty in this way before, which is why I thought it must be something related to software, but we’ve exhausted all the possibilities now.

I wrote to pi hat and they have authorized an RMA. I will wait for their feedback.
Thanks a lot for your support!

1 Like