Raspbian stretch and flotilla

Hi just thought I would document that I did a fresh install of rasbian stretch today and now rockpool will not find my flotilla dock. I have tried it on the pi itself and on a tablet browser.

I haven’t tried it with Python yet so that could be ok.

Just wanted to make you aware of this.

Cheers

1 Like

I’m going to guess the problem is as follows:

pi@raspberrypi:~/flotilla-offline $ /usr/bin/flotilla
/usr/bin/flotilla: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.50.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Because we’re (still) not properly shipping Flotilla as a deb (we need to fix that) it has dependency quirks, since we’re manually copying in a binary built for a specific version of Raspbian (Wheezy/Jessie and now Stretch).

I’ll see if I can whip up a fixed binary for you to try out.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I am not going to pretend to understand it entirely.
No major hurry required for me, I have another pi still running Jessie that I will not update for a while.

Cheers

If you want to give it a try, you can grab the “flotilla-stretch” file from: https://github.com/pimoroni/flotilla-offline

On your Stretch Pi:

sudo apt install libboost-system1.58 libboost-filesystem1.58 libboost-program-options1.58
git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/flotilla-offline
sudo cp flotilla-offline/flotilla-stretch /usr/bin

Hi,

I tried those instructions but I still cant get my pi to find the dock, any ideas?

Cheers

Drat my instructions are flawed. The flotilla-stretch file should overwrite the one in /usr/bin, so the correct copy command is: cp flotilla-offline/flotilla-stretch /usr/bin/flotilla

Great, thanks for that. I will give it a go later today

Hi,
I have a fresh Stretch install updated / upgraded on an Raspberry pi Zero W.
I have the Mega Treasure Chest Starter Kit ordered few months ago.
So I followed the instructions :
here http://learn.flotil.la/getting-started/installation

And did the improvement found in this topic

sudo apt install libboost-system1.58 libboost-filesystem1.58 libboost-program-options1.58
sudo cp flotilla-offline/flotilla-stretch /usr/bin/flotilla

But i keep on getting the message “searching for docks no docks found, yet! =(” on rockpool

Is flotilla compatible with Raspberry Pi Zero W ?
Thank you

Yes- how are you connecting the dock to the Pi Zero W? It could easily be a flaky USB cable/hub/adaptor in the chain.

What do you see if you run: lsusb with the dock plugged in?

Yes good point : I had a problem with an USB cable, but it’s now solved :)

The USB adapter I use is good and lsusb gave me a list of my things connected to my USB adapter, including the flotilla dock.
If you want to, I can try tonight to give you the precise item list returned by the command lsusb

so lsusb give me this :

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 16d0:08c3 MCS
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

MCS is the dock. In my memory the name was a bit more explicit :)

Hmm, I do wonder if the Flotilla service is running at all.

Try grabbing and installing the offline repo, I’ve updated it recently to detect and -hopefully- support stretch:

cd flotilla-offline
sudo ./install
``

Thanks for the suggestions above. I tried the suggestion of installing flotilla-offline, followed by sudo ./install.

The response is “Unsupported version of Raspbian”

uname -r gives 4.9.59-v7+

That’s… odd… what does it say if you run:

lsb_release -a

This is what I get:

> pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:	Raspbian
> Description:	Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)
> Release:	9.3
> Codename:	stretch

Also uname -a gives

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.9.59-v7+ #1047 SMP Sun Oct 29 12:19:23 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Ok so I changed the install file to include 9.3, and it all works now.

Good spot! D’oh. I’ll get the installer updated.

Edit: I seem to have totally missed that an apt update && apt upgrade bumps the version from 9.0/9.1 to 9.3. I’ll have to keep an eye on that in future!

Dear all,

I had the same issue, no dock has found, but this forum topic is solved my problem as well…

So, I had to do the same, needed to install flottilla-offline and some other dependency - as you can see in the older posts:

git clone GitHub - pimoroni/flotilla-offline: Everything you need to get started with Flotilla Rockpool
cd flotilla-offline
sudo ./install

The response is “Unsupported version of Raspbian”

So, after this I needed to add manually in the install file my version (which is 9.6 at this momment):

sudo nano install
(…)
case “$RELEASE” in
“9.0” | “9.1” | “9.2” | “9.3” | “9.4” | “9.6”)
printf “Detected Raspbian Stretch…\n”
pkgdeplist=${pkgdeplist9[@]}

After it the sudo ./install worked, and my dock has found immediately.

So, hope it will help to others as well.

Cheers,
Peter from Hungary