Request for more detail on the parts provided with the Raspberry Pi Complete Starter kit (for a complete starter)

Hi there!

I’ve just received my Raspberry Pi Zero Complete Starter Kit. I’m definitely a complete starter, so this seemed like the right kit for me.

It arrived with everything you said it would (I checked against the picture on the label), but it would have been wonderful if it had come with a little documentation to explain what all the bits are by name (or with a numbered key), and maybe a sentence about what they do and why they’re useful. I know that a lot of the information is available online, but as a proper beginner, I’m certainly sometimes a bit bewildered by the quantity of helpful info out there – a crib sheet or downloadable PDF to get me started would be hugely appreciated - something similar like your guide to how to put the PiBow together, which was really easy to follow and very helpful to someone like me who is liable to break things if left to own devices to figure stuff out.

Love the kit otherwise - it’s really nicely packaged and was great fun to open and investigate. I can’t wait to get started on my probably rather overambitious first project.

Thanks for any assistance you’re able to give me or future users!

- Raspberry Pi Zero
- Pibow Zero

it seems you found the assembly instructions, but for customers visiting this topic in the future here it is again: http://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/pibow-zero-assembly

- 2x20 0.1" male GPIO header
- 2x20 0.1" male GPIO header right angle

those headers are only required if you intend to do any physical computing, or fit a ‘pHAT’ add-on board. In other words it’s not necessary to solder one on to use your Pi, you can always do so this at a later stage, when you have a clearer idea of the project you wish to undertake.

- mini-HDMI to HDMI adaptor

you may need this adaptor to plug-in an HDMI screen into the Pi. There’s only one socket it can plug-in so should be self-explanatory.

- micro-B USB to USB A female cable

This part allows you to plug-in USB devices, most commonly a keyboard and mouse. Make sure to plug this in in the right port, marked ‘USB’.

- Official Raspberry Pi power supply

This is provided as a source of power for your Pi, with various adapters useful for traveling, or if you live outside the UK. Make sure to plug it in the socket in the bottom right, marked ‘PWR’.

- 8GB microSD card

The microSD is where the operating system, applications and user data reside. The larger casing is so you can use a standard SD card reader (typically hooked up to a PC or MAC, for re-imaging), otherwise you take the smaller microSD out of it and slot it in on the left hand-side of your Pi. The zero won’t boot without this card being inserted.

I hope this helps!

1 Like