SPG30 with Pico Explorer

Hi - I’m trying to use the SPG30 with the Pico Explorer, but unsure of the best way to install the example software. Since I’m using a Pico I am unaware of how or if you can do a git clone. Any help would be much appreciated!

If that’s the Pimoroni SPG30 Breakout, and your using the custom Pimoroni uf2 file, the needed libraries should be there. Run one of the Micro Python examples for it and see what happens. You can clip and past the code into Thonny to run it.

yep, sorry I meant the Pimoroni SPG30 Breakout and the custom uf2. I’m just not sure which code to load into Thonny to run it on the pico since I can’t clone the whole repo. The test.py didn’t seem to work. I also tried to install the Pimoroni SPG30 driver in the manage packages menu, but I always get an error.

Sorry this is such a noob question. Thanks in advance for the help!

Make sure in Thonny that the interpreter is set to MicroPython(Raspberry Pi Pico)
And that your using the Micro Python examples.
pimoroni-pico/micropython/examples/breakout_sgp30 at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)

Thanks, it is set to MP (pico), but when I try to run the demo.py file I get an error for this line:

sgp30 = BreakoutSGP30(i2c)

-breakout not found…Do I need to change the pins maybe when using the breakout?

Actually I got it. Seemed to be using the breakout garden instead of pico explorer pins. Next step is getting it to print the results on the little screen!

Thanks for your help @alphanumeric

No problem, glad to help. Yeah you need to change the i2c pins used, depending on what Pimoroni Pack etc, your running it on.
Have a look at this Pico Explorer example. I think it will help you with that.
pimoroni-pico/weatherstation_BME280.py at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)

Awesome, thanks again. That actually helps me understand the picographics display for sure. Follow up if you have time, do you know of a place where I can get a better understanding of the display text dynamics? Looks like there are 4 dimensions, but I’m not sure which is which, or how to know the length/width of the screen, etc. The pico graphics readme doesn’t have a ton there to help me understand the visualization of text on these screens.

This may help, pimoroni-pico/micropython/modules/picographics at main · pimoroni/pimoroni-pico (github.com)

It’s basically Column, Row, Word Wrap, font size.