After reboot my pi 3, I ran the example script “launcher.py” and got the error:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/touchphat/examples $ python launcher.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “launcher.py”, line 8, in
import touchphat
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/touchphat/init.py”, line 13, in
dh = cap1xxx.Cap1166(i2c_addr=0x2c)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cap1xxx.py”, line 283, in init
self.product_id = self._get_product_id()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cap1xxx.py”, line 469, in _get_product_id
return self._read_byte(R_PRODUCT_ID)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cap1xxx.py”, line 494, in _read_byte
return self.i2c.read_byte_data(self.i2c_addr, register)
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

I have tried to install touch phat on my pi zero w, and still got same error, is my phat non functional?

This is my i2c command output:
pi@raspberrypi:~/Pimoroni/touchphat/examples $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --

Thank you.
Ruoen

i2c enabled in Raspberry Pi Configuration? I think the script is supposed to do it for you but can’t hurt to double check. It’s not detecting anything, according to what you posted.

Hi alphanumeric,
i2c is enabled

Could you post a photo of your setup/soldering etc? IO errors are quite often the result of a dry joint or flaky connection.

That doesn’t look too bad. Just for future reference, you don’t need that much solder. If your up to it, you could try reflowing the ones shown as being used in the pinout for the Touch pHat. Just reheat them to melt the solder, don’t add any more solder. Touch the pin and the pad with the tip of the iron and draw it away going up. 2, 3 seconds max should be all you need. Clean your iron tip between reflows. Getting both the pin and the pad hot helps prevent cold solder joints. IMHO anyway.

It’s hard to tell from the top view, but is the pHAT pushed all the way down on the header? It needs a firm push to make proper contact and it looks like there’s more of a gap between the top of the PiBow Zero and the pHAT than I would expect.

Good eyes, I agree, a good firm push down won’t hurt. Just push on the two mounting holes on each end of the header.

Hi alphanumeric and gadgetoid,

Thank you for your advice, I’ve already reheat all of them to melt the solder but still not working and I’m sure the pHAT pushed all the way down on the header.

And still not working? Your soldering looks good enough that it should be working.

It’s strange that all the LEDs are on, too, I’m pretty sure that shouldn’t be the case without some software running. The touch chip o the pHAT might be fried.

Could you post a clear photo of the chip on the underside of Touch pHAT?

You should contact support@pimoroni.com with your order number, and request a replacement, referencing this forum thread.

Hi gadgetoid,

Yes, still not working.

Ah, he has a layer or two missing from the PIBOW case, that’s why it looked so high up. It was firmly seated so something else is up.

So should I contact support@pimoroni.com for a new Touch pHAT?

Yes, I’m all out of ideas I’m afraid :(

Sorry you appear to have a dud!