Updated Picade Firmware, No Sound

Hi There,

I recently purchased your Picade and I think it’s great. I just have a small issue.

I did the firmware update of the Picade because I would like to use the gamepad update that was added.

The update seem to go fine but when I rebooted the Picade, the controls were working fine but found that I no longer had sound from the speakers.(the sound was working fine from the audio jack on the side.)

I would like to know is it possible to revert back to the keyboard only firmware?

Thanks Again.

Hi

Have you tried increasing the volume using the volume buttons on the left hand side of the Picade.

Cheers

Paul

HI,

I have. The Volume keys do nothing now. The volume keys are seen now a button keys now when I go into the retropie buttons configuration screen. Maybe i’m wrong but I think i understand the the new firmware turns the volume button into extra controller keys? I was unaware of this.

Thanks

Hi

You can rebind the volume keys to work as volume keys. If no-one else replies before tomorrow I’ll send you my script to do it. Not near the Picade at the moment.

Cheers

Paul

That would be great thanks.

Hi

Just remembered I posted it on the forum here
http://forums.pimoroni.com/t/new-2-x-configurable-keyboard-gamepad-firmware/1881/32?u=paulcheffus

You will need to copy and paste the code in the link into a file called something like keybind.py and then run it using python keybind.py

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately I am quite new to all this so I would have no idea of how to transfer the python code to the Picade.

I might just try and flash the old keyboard only firmware back onto the Picade Board and hope I don’t end up bricking the board!

Thank you for the help, most appreciated.

John

Hi

Create a file using nano keybind.py
Type in the code given
Save it using CTRL + X and enter Y to save
Run using Python keybind.py

Cheers

Paul

Hi

There is another option. I can modify the firmware so that it maps the volume controls by default and send you a copy. All you would need to do then is apply the new firmware.

Cheers

Paul

Hi There,

It’s ok, I got it sorted.:-) I watched your video on the firmware update and and managed to access the picade button config via putty. Set the config back to the keyboard config and back in business. :-)

Least I now know what to do now for future reference. Thanks for your help on this.

John

Out of interest did you use picade.hex or picade_b2.3.hex?

It may be time for me to retire the former and make another release.

I think I updated with the picade.hex firmware.

Ah yes that was the old release. I’ve bumped the beta 2.3 version into picade.hex now, so if you update again you should get the latest bug fixes and tweaks.