What parts to buy as a newbie

Hi,
There are several products on the website.
I am not sure how to get started.

I would like to get started with pico 2040 model board and " Tufty 2040 - LCD Badge/Display – Tufty Only"
But I need details on specific board, cables, ssd drives needed to assemble it.
Please can someone advise me?
I can’t go through a 30 day training to learn this

What do you know already? Can you program or solder? Do you have some background in Electronics? What do you try to do, what is your aim?

Without knowing all of this, it is hard to give advice. And BTW: if you know nothing and don’t want to spend (at least) a month of learning, I would recommend not to by anything.

The Tufty 2040 comes with an RP 2040 already attached / onboard. You don’t need to add a Pico to it. You will need a USB C cable to program it. And a PC or SBC to program it from. And maybe a battery to run it.

IMHO, you may as well just buy the Tufty + accessory kit.

Might want to have a look see at the tutorial.
Getting Started with Tufty 2040 (pimoroni.com)

1 Like

I am a web developer. I started programming in the 90s. I am new to Raspberry though

I am still not sure what you are trying to do.

Note that there are “Raspberry PI” SBC (single-board-computers). In this case, you install a complete operating system and then you can do everything that you can do on a Linux-system (webservers, desktop and so on).

There is also a “Raspberry Pi Pico”, which is a MCU (microcontroller). On these devices, you don’t have an operating system, but a single program that has full control over every resource. This program usually runs in an endless loop. With an MCU, you control other electronic components, e.g. LEDs, switches, motors and so on.

So coming back to your original question on what to buy: this really depends on what you are trying to build. A small home-server? Then you should buy a Pi5 with a number of additional parts. If you want to control hardware: buy a Pico-W and whatever you might need for your project.

BTW: in the latter case (i.e. you want to control hardware/electronics): there are also MCUs (from a company called espruino (espruino.com)) that have an installed JS-runtime. So you could use a familiar programming language. But this is definitely not mainstream.

1 Like