When Pressed, Pibrella Button Reboots Pi

Hey there,

I recently purchased a pibrella board (Pibrella Rev 3) for use with my raspberry pi. I’ve attached the pibrella board to my pi. However, when I press the red button on my pibrella, the pi reboots. I’ve tried overwriting the button’s functions, using both the documentation on github for the api and using the examples here: http://www.tecoed.co.uk/uploads/1/4/2/4/14249012/pibrella_commands.pdf. The result remains the same.

Any tips or pointers for this? I can’t seem to find anything similar on google either.

update [thur 5 pm] not sure if this is helpful, but when I run the following code snippet I get an error:

code snippet
> def test_button(pin): > ... pibrella.light.green.on() > pibrella.button.pressed(test_button)

error

Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pibrella.py", line 276, in on_high self._setup_callback(bouncetime) File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pibrella.py", line 290, in _setup_callback GPIO.add_event_detect (self.pin, GPIO.BOTH, callback=handle_callback, bouncetime=bouncetime)

RuntimeError: Failed to add edge detection.

I thought it was a pin issue, and tried different pins, but that didn’t work either - plugging the board on the remaining pins resulted in the pi not starting up at all.

Everything else (e.g. lights, buzzer) works fine!

Thanks!

It’s been a while since I’ve seen this one, but I’m going to bet it’s the metal contacts of the button, or something similar, shorting out on the HDMI connector. Stick something insulating between your Pibrella and your Pi, and try again!

1 Like

[quote=“ameh, post:1, topic:1887”]
I thought it was a pin issue, and tried different pins, but that didn’t work either - plugging the board on the remaining pins resulted in the pi not starting up at all.[/quote]
err, what do you mean by that? sorry if this is obvious but you need to align the add-on board so that the left edge of the header is as far away from the USB port(s) on the Pi itself. It’s not only not going to work any other way but you could damage your Pi!

@gadgetoid thank you!!! that worked!!

Thank you from me as well :). Just got a replacement pibrella today after my first one had the same problem. My new pibrella has the same ‘problem’. Keeping it away from the hdmi port really helps :)

Pibrella should be supplied with a small rubber foot for exactly this reason.

You should drop Cyntech a line to let them know about this, since we don’t make or sell Pibrella anymore.