Zero Lipo software causes Failed to Authenticate error

Ah right. Thanks again

It should now work when you plug your LiPo in, worth a try.

Not entirely sure why we’ve managed to set it up step-by-step but it fails with the installer, but if there’s anything I’ve been sure of with this issue, it’s that I’m unsure!

Hi. Sorry, didn’t see your reply until now.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying it should log in OK when on the battery power but not on the mains power??

Or for me flash and go through all the steps above again BUT STOP before …

sudo cp ./daemon/etc/cleanshutd.conf /etc/
sudo nano /etc/cleanshutd.conf

The battery arrived yesterday but wrong JST clip on it. I’m still waiting for the USB switch to charge it and I think that comes with a spare JST so I’ll charge it and give a try.
Thanks again for the help. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Gordon

Hi, could you give a quick any answer on this one? Just to confirm if I should run through all those steps except the last one, on the SD Card that I have in tiny 4wd. I want zerolipo working on it but don’t want yo have start over again.
Thanks

Yes these steps should install/prepare cleanshutd for your setup, while hopefully avoiding whatever factor causes the “Failed To Authenticate” (which we still haven’t identified, but I’m reasonably confident it’s SD card corruption)

Thank you. Would it be a bit of a coincidence if two, possibly three now, cards were corrupted?

Yes it’s a coincidence, but one that can’t be explained solely by the cleanshutdown/Zero LiPo software install.

There must some other factor which we’re overlooking.

If it were purely the Zero LiPo install process causing the problem then I would expect to see many more than 3 people encountering it.

Right now I’m suffering from a failure of imagination in coming up with any other reason why it’s happening though!

How many Pi’s have you tried this across? I’m wondering if it could be something like bad RAM.

You might have something there, I’m sure it’s only been the one Pi Zero W with the zero lipo soldered. No other problems with it and tiny 4wd working with bluedot as the controller.

Might be worth trying:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install memtester

Then

sudo memtester 256 10 

Use free -m to see how much “free” memory you’ve got, memtester wont be able to allocate the full 512mb on a Pi- but 256mb seemed to work for me. Whether or not this will actually reveal any errors is beyond me, though!

For the record, my results so far are:

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ sudo memtester 256m 10
memtester version 4.3.0 (32-bit)
Copyright (C) 2001-2012 Charles Cazabon.
Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 (only).

pagesize is 4096
pagesizemask is 0xfffff000
want 256MB (268435456 bytes)
got  256MB (268435456 bytes), trying mlock ...locked.
Loop 1/10:
  Stuck Address       : ok
  Random Value        : ok
  Compare XOR         : ok
  Compare SUB         : ok
  Compare MUL         : ok
  Compare DIV         : ok
  Compare OR          : ok
  Compare AND         : ok
  Sequential Increment: ok
  Solid Bits          : ok
  Block Sequential    : setting  36

Hi, did that with 256mb and it ran through with the same values as above and an ‘ok’ against each heading in all 10 loops! Sorry if I should have set it higher but looks OK?

I just want to add after installing the Zero LiPo clean shut down my Pi now blocks me with the ‘Failed to authenticate’

This has lost me weeks of work on a project!!

From reading above it sounds like I will have to start over again…

In fact this has done this again to me… on a clean install of raspian on a Pi Zero W

the Zero Lipo is connected when installed… is this a problem?

It should still be possible to access the files on your SD card and recover them. I still strongly suspect this is the result of filesystem corruption due to a combination of power/SD card/other issues and the software installer itself is a red herring (since it does nothing that could cause this error.)

I’ve left myself a note to investigate this next week to see if I can replicate the problem.

Hey , i’ve got the same issue… did anyone figured it out now?

Greets

Sorry to jump on this old thread! I’m having exactly the same problem described above. I’m using a Pi Zero W, Samsung 8gb card and have the shim soldered to the gpio. Only other thing I have connected is a Microsoft combination keyboard & mouse. I’ve reflashed several times but always get the Failure to Authenticate message if I try to power up with an official Raspberry Pi power supply. It boots straight to the desktop fine if I connect the lipo battery on its own. If I then plug in the power supply after it’s booted it still shuts down when the battery runs low (thought that was worth a go!). I can do bits & pieces just running off the battery but it has a habit of shutting down just as things are getting interesting! Is there a simple way for me to remove the code I installed from the one-line installer to see if that does anything? Thanks!

LiPo SHIM/Zero LiPo weren’t designed to work without a LiPo connected so the software to check battery status and trigger a shutdown is firing at a weird point in the boot process and causing login services to shut down.

If you run sudo systemctl disable gpio-poweroff you should be able to boot from just mains power. You can re-enable this with sudo systemctl enable gpio-poweroff.

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply, should have had notifications on!