12.1 Inch Display Question

Unfortunately, we’ve found it basically impossible to source those 12" displays in any sort of quantity. The previous batch we got hold of were end-of-life stock and they’re all gone now. :-(

Hi all!
been reading this with keen interest! just wondering what the physical dimensions of the 12.1" displays are I wanted to see if they would fit in a case I’m designing?

I was wondering what links people are using these days for the ones with good viewing angles/clarity etc?

Hi guys, ordered the LTN121XL01-N03 from displayscreen but they’re sold out (sent refund despite saying “Instock” on website). Anyone know the next best 12.1”? Heard bad things about the mixed TN panel eBay listings so want to avoid those. Or if anyone has an extra LTN121XL01 I’d be happy to buy it at the displayscreen price.

Edit: Saw the old post about the LTN121XP01 PVA screen, not cheap but seems there’s still some around so will look into it.

Hi
I’m thinking about a LQ121S1LG75 (generic, the original was SHARP) which can be found on ebay or aliexpress for around USD 110 including the controller.
It has WLED background lighting, is brighter and has better contrast and viewing angles as CCFLs, but it would need a (small) modification to the Picade and it is only SVGA (800x600).
See also my new thread about that.
Regards
Patrick

Feedback from displaysscreen.com today:

this time LTN121XL01-N03 not very good condition

Not really meaningful regarding future availability…

I will go for the “SHARP” LQ121S1LG75.

Well I went ahead and bought the SHARP mentioned off ebay…
will see how it works when it gets here in a few weeks.

FYI, the Sharp display (LQ121S1L75) I purchased on Ebay has a terrible viewing angle… If I could flip it upside down, it may be usuable, but as it stands, you can’t adjust it to make it worth using.

Where did you buy it and where did you get the controller?

I bough this screen:

http://www.displaysscreen.com/original-ltn121xl01n03-samsung-screen-121-1024×768-ltn121xl01n03-display-p-2767.html

and this board:

And I am powering the screen with a 12V 4AMP supply. My screen is VERY dim. Please help?

Recently I got the (strong) itch to upgrade my panel to a 12" 1024x768 variant, and was lucky to find one on Amazon. It was on the expensive side, but I tore into it regardless, and was able to mount it successfully within my Picade. I’ve uploaded an album to Imgur which has image descriptions that explains the story, so I’ll keep this message here brief.

I hope this helps anyone still looking for a 4:3 small LCD panel, as it does seem they’re becoming quite tough to obtain indeed! These Eyoyo ones do seem to be sprinkled about though, so might be a viable option.

Cheers, and thanks to the good ship Pimoroni for creating such a wonderful kit!

2 Likes

Are 12" displays only for the old Picade? Just built a new one and seems to small for a 12"

Yeah, only the older model

Pulling up the 12inch thread again. :) Has anyone tried tearing apart one of the Haorizi 12 monitors? (or any of the 7 other chinese brands that seem to be identical) I’m looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0796QL4DY/ref=psdc_898402_t3_B07DCB62C1

I’m tempted to go for that over a panel and controller from ebay. It’s not much more expensive and if it is DOA I can just send it back.

Hi guys - resurrecting this thread as I’m looking to upgrade my 2016/2017 Picade.

I’ve stumbled across this display - anyone know if this would fit the bill.

Any advice really appreciated.

Anyone? Before I buy it and potentially make a costly error!

Did you end up going with it? I went with the one earlier in the thread.

It is fairly good. The size is perfect but the viewing angles aren’t amazing. But it looks decent for the person playing it and that’s the main thing.

Minor edit: I realized this morning that changing the display mode to DMT 16 actually made a substantial improvement vs the default mode. (I was just clicking away, but I think default uses a CEA mode.)

1 Like

I ended up going for this one:

More money than I had perhaps intended spending, but I’m glad I did - its excellent.

Great viewing angles, contrast and colour - definitely recommend it if anyone is still looking and don’t mind pushing the boat out a bit.

2 Likes

Did you install this in the first Picade? I have the original edition and I would like to upgrade the screen. I have been looking at the 10inch display from Pimoroni but this one is the same price. Do you have any pics of it installed in your Picade? Did you have any trouble installing it?

Yep, I had the first gen as well. I’d definitely go with the 12 inch over the 10. I just took a snapshot but don’t judge my lack of photo staging. :) I was mostly trying to get an angle you could see the screen and not the ceiling.

My 2 big tips. One is to make sure you test the screen out at the angle you will use it. I had to completely rebuild mine because I tested and assembled it at a table, where looking straight at it, then when I put it back in it’s spot, I’m looking down at an angle at it. I ended up reassembling it all with the screen upside down which messed up the wiring and I’d done so nicely the first time. Second, cutting down the cardboard bezel makes a lot of little cardboard flakes that come off underneath the plexi for weeks. I’m sure there is a way around it, but I ended up taking it all apart, yet again, to clean them out.

1 Like

The screen looks awesome! Thanks for the tips!!