Hello to all 12" Picade fans
I thought it was a good idea to start a new thread to summarise the discussion about 12" screens for the Picade. The existing threads are very long…
What are we speaking about?
- LCD TFT screen, 4:3, maximum physical size about 264x210 mm to fit into the Picade with (almost) no modification to the case
- including controller with HDMI input
Nice to have:
- 1024x768 (XGA) instead of 800x600 (SVGA)
- good luminosity (LED is better than CCFL)
- good contrast (LED is better than CCFL)
- viewing angle (LED is much better than CCFL)
The market as of today (4.3.2018):
- Samsung LTN121XL01-N03 (XGA, LED): seems not to be available any more. “Displaysscreen” pretends it is “in Stock” but I ordered one two weeks ago and they refunded me because they cannot deliver it (unfortunately, I had already ordered a controller for it…
- IVO M121GNX2 (XGA, LED): available on eBay with controller for $185, look at this post of “coffeefueled”. Much too wide (279mm), would need a big modification of the Picade, a no-go?.
- SHARP LQ121S1LG75 (SVGA, LED): widely available on eBay including the controller for $110. 1mm too wide (265mm) but the Picade should accomodate it after loosening a few screws and a modification to the fastening of the screen (because of the big electronic module at the bottom of the panel)… It is not really a SHARP screen, only some generic but I hope that the specs are the same.
- No-name CCFL (XGA, CCFL): a few models available on ebay, many with miserable luminosity and viewing angle. This one has viewing angles of about 45° in all directions. Size OK, no modification of the Picade necessary.
At the moment, I guess my choice is between the “SHARP” LED TFT with SVGA (hoping that the generic one has the same specs as the original) with a modification to the Picade, or a less good one with CCFL and XGA (No-name). As I play mostly older games (MAME 80’s, ZX Spectrum, Amiga) with low resolution, I suppose that the brighter “SHARP” SVGA would be the better choice.
@all who have done the modification: which screen type did you use, are you satisfied with it? Would you buy it again?
@all who are still searching: what are YOUR thoughts? Any alternatives?