7” Touch Screen - rotate screen issue

Hi

I have problem to rotate screen on my new 7” Touch Screen with original stand. I have updated system according to instruction and also added lcd_rotate=2 line to /boot/config.txt. but the screen is still upside down.
Can you please send me some more instructions how to rotate it?

Thanks

Majo

That should do the trick. Could you post the contents of your /boot/config.txt, use triple backticks to format it as code

```text
like so
```

You’re also running Raspbian?

Please find attached my config.txt file. I have SD card with NOOBS

Bizarre. I can’t see anything untoward. My best guess is that you’re not quite updated. What does it say if you fire up a terminal and run this?:

uname -a

I’d suggest running this again to see what happens. You can do definitively this by running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libraspberrypi0 libraspberrypi-{bin,dev,doc} raspberrypi-bootloader
sudo reboot

it shows this

Linux raspberrypi 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I have updated according to yours instructions and still the same under uname -a

Been sent to the forums from twitter, I have exactly the same problem with the same config.txt and same info when i type uname -a

Is this with Raspbian Jessie?

Actually, are you both using NOOBS? I’ve got a hypothesis. There aren’t many reasons I can conceive why this would happen, but something like the NOOBS startup not supporting this command while vanilla Raspbian does would seem plausible.

mine is with raspbian

Whoops- see above, I revised my question for maximum confusion :D

1 Like

I’m using noobs, but if your theory relates to safe mode I’ve already put avoid_safe_mode=1 into config.txt

Also just found out that the leg of the stand is in the way of the USB ports. So far not pleased with this product!

I think I’m going to have to set up NOOBS and investigate- I know lcd_rotate works on the raw Raspbian Jessie and Raspbian Wheezy images so it’s likely something to do with NOOBS.

We took a calculated risk with that decision- figuring most people would plug at least a WiFi dongle and possibly also a wireless keyboard dongle into those ports.

The upside-down-ness was unavoidable, since a software update rotated the display after we’d already created the stand, and we ( or at least I, I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus ) still believe this way is the right way up due to the HDMI, power and audio cables.

Was this a NOOBS that came on a NOOBS SD card, or did you install it yourself from the downloads here: Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi

It was on a NOOBS SD Card

Okay! I’ve managed to replicate the problem, that’s a good first step. It’s definitely something to do with NOOBS, although I’m really not sure what. I’m guessing NOOBS has a slightly different initial image that doesn’t support the lcd_rotate command.

I can’t fix it, but I can report the problem to people who can.

In the meantime you could fix it by installing Raspbian, but if you’re using NOOBS for multi-boot then that’s not much use to you.

I’m going to try downloading the latest NOOBS and see if I can use it to patch up my SD card.

Edit: Okay, don’t try that. It broke. Really, really, broke! They’re not kidding when they say RECOVERY_FILES_DO_NOT_EDIT

Just to add to the confusion:
I downloaded NOOBS 1.4.2 yesterday and put it on a SD card.
Initial run has to be done with a HDMI or Analog display connected in order to install Raspbian.
I had both connected and the 7 inch display remained dark.
On first boot, the HDMI display showed the initial rainbow and then the NOOBS ‘press shift’ to enter recovery.
Then Raspbian booted on the 7 inch display. Of course upside down (RPi2 HDMI/USBpower/AV connectors at top).
Added lcd_rotate=2 to /boot/config.txt and rebooted (no HDMI connected).
Note that the Raspbian FAT32 boot partition is the 3rd partition on the SD card. The first 2 are for the NOOBS recovery.
Raspbian came up right side up on the 7 inch. No initial rainbow display, since that goes to the HDMI.
My guess, you are using an older version of NOOBS. This one (1.4.2) includes the 25.09.2015 4.1 kernel and boots straight into the desktop (=Jessie).
Curious to know what the explanation is.

I’ve just set up the new version of NOOBS to try this for myself.

It’s definitely odd. No rainbow screen on the LCD, and boots up by default with Overscan on- causing havoc with the touchscreen etc.

I can confirm that lcd_rotate=2 does work, too.

NOOBS adds a disable_overscan=0 to the bottom, plus a whole bunch of overscan settings. All the settings above need set to 0 in order to turn it off- disable_overscan=1 doesn’t seem to work. The LCD should probably ignore overscan altogether anyway since it doesn’t apply or make any sense whatsoever.

the version I have installed just boots with the ‘rainbow screen’ really small in the top right corner of the touchscreen, it also had those wierd overscan defaults too.

That ‘really small in the top right corner’ rainbow screen is actually the low voltage warning. What power supply are you using, and how is your Pi connected to the touchscreen for power?

Does the rainbow stay, or just appear at boot?

just at boot. I’m using an official raspi psu. 5V 1A.

Something else, but related.
It is possible to get the NOOBS screens on the 7 inch display.
See this post on the Raspberry Pi forums (two files have to be replaced on the SD card before first boot):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=823236#p823236