Corrupted 3.5 Hyperpixel - Screen Inverted (not flipped)

I have been using the HyperPixel 3.5 touchscreen for quite a while…

I have recently upgraded the Pi and used the latest build of Raspbian…

However using the updated setup script my screen is now Flipped as in Inverted; please see picture attached as not flipped (rotated)

I ran…

curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel | bash

Then got…

Thanks can this be sorted as I never saved the old setup script and now pretty much useless?

Thanks

Buzz.

This is stange- the HyperPixel drivers/setup scripts haven’t changed in the best part of a year.

Are you sure you didn’t accidentally run the hyperpixel4 setup?

Could you post the contents of your /boot/config.txt please?

No I made sure that I ran the right Hyperpixel script…

I have used the same device for over a year…

It will be the updated script as even tried it off a fresh build on the old Pi (Pi2 B+) which still gave the same result, I tried then the hyperpixel 4 which gives an even more corrupted image, not just inverted.

Is there anyway to access the old script as I did not get a copy and it will be that causing this as never had a problem before since I first bought the screen as it’s the perfect size for the case I have…

The config.txt is as it comes without any addition from myself, just the added settings from your hyperpixel script…CONFIG.TXT:

For more options and information see

http://rpf.io/configtxt

Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default “safe” mode

#hdmi_safe=1

uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible

and your display can output without overscan

#disable_overscan=1

uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console

goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border

#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display’s size minus

overscan.

#framebuffer_width=912
#framebuffer_height=492

uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output

#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)

#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in

DMT (computer monitor) modes

#hdmi_drive=2

uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or

no display

#config_hdmi_boost=4

uncomment for composite PAL

#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces

#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module

#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)

HyperPixel LCD Settings

dtoverlay=hyperpixel
overscan_left=0
overscan_right=0
overscan_top=0
overscan_bottom=0
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=480
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87
dpi_output_format=0x6f016
display_rotate=2
hdmi_timings=800 0 50 20 50 480 1 3 2 3 0 0 0 60 0 32000000 6

Use a basic GPIO backlight driver with on/off support

dtoverlay=hyperpixel-gpio-backlight

Thanks…

Buzz.

Can you just submit me the old script as now it has become a problem?

I need my device and I need it working despite your updates…

I want the original script please A.S.A.P…

ALSO WHY HAVE YOU STOPPED PRODUCING THE 3.5 AS THERE IS AN APPARENT NEED FOR IT AS 4" IS GREAT BUT 3.5 IS PERFECT FOR SOME PROJECTS, BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER?

What changes to the setup script did you make, surely you have a copy of the original as I do but I have to restore an previous imaged file, but I don’t have a spare 128gb SD card right now…

I will wait with a bated breath!

Buzz.

The original 3.5 software is here, https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel
The Product page may be gone but the software is still there.

And the new 4.0 software is here, https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel4

The first line I posted is as far as I know the "old " script.
The GitHub page for the 3.5 inch Hyperpixel shows as not updated for 2 years or so for most of it.

Hi…

No that is the same setup script that causes the corruption…

It maybe the script now doesn’t work with the latest updated Kernels or the latest version of Raspbian as it has still got the screen inverted…

I am at a loss I will have to try and find the old raspbian build and try again?

Buzz.

Technically its not the script thats doing it, its the software installed by the script.
So yes, now that we know your running the right installer, it looks like its not compatible with the latest Raspbian?
That Phil’s @gadgetoid side of things I believe.

If you want to go back to an older version of Raspbian to test your theory you can find them here.
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

Checking through the repository history, the software hasn’t changed since it was written in June of 2017.

It’s possible that the script doesn’t work with updated kernels as you suggest. I’ll have to investigate when I get back into the office.

Also having the same issue with latest Raspian Lite, but its the CLI that is inverted instead of X-Server. I have a few of the 3.5" screens and really hate to see them become a relic.

Is there any guidance as to the last working version of Raspian that works? I tried with the latest 2018-11-13 Raspian Stretch Lite.

Just be patient. It’s the weekend. ;)
I’m sure Phil will look into it when he’s back at the office on Monday.
I’d try an earlier Raspbian Stretch from the link I posted above. Something from 2017.
Keep in mind though if you have a 3A+ the older builds won’t work, it won’t boot up.

No worries here. Just wanted to let the folks know while I was thinking about it that the issue also occurs in Raspian Lite, so its probably not just an X-server/X thing.

Also, happy to help with any troubleshooting/testing if necessary.

I’ve seen similar issues with the PiTFT GPIO displays like the ones Adafruit etc sell when a new version of Raspbian is released. Somebody does and apt-get update upgrade and it gets broken by the new kernel. With those screens you pretty well have to use their custom image.
Pimoroni does it a different way and just modifies your current install. I don’t know exactly what the installer does though. It looks like something got changed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation thats thrown a wrench in things. For the older 3.5 displays anyway.

Hi I am still waiting for some support on this issue.

I confirm that it is the updated Raspbian that has caused this, but how are you getting on with fixing the issue or is it that you only support the latest hardware.

The problem is the new screens are too big 3.5 inch screen is the size of the enclosure the 4.0 screen won’t fit, why have you stopped making the 3.5?

Why not support the 3.5 anymore, there is a need for this size still, bigger is not always better!

I have switched from using Adafruit due to your screens being better suited but at least they still provide legacy support when upgrades happen, why don’t you do at Pimoroni?

I am extremely unhappy with the support for your products and will look for alternatives, I guess due to necessity, what is the point in having to run a build that is now ancient!?

Poor support and longevity is off putting what is the point in upgrading the screen to one that won’t fit and you will just ignore, once the next newer thing comes along?

Yours majorly disappointedly disgusted and repelled…

Buzz.

Well, I’ve just run the hyperpixel 3.5 install on the latest version of stretch and it works lovely.

Pimoroni do support the products and if you follow them on GitHub you’ll see that work is done to older products regularly to keep them updated.

I think your issue is an odd one, but doesn’t need the rage and rudeness you’ve posted with, which won’t attract much friendliness here.

Oh well! Monglet, a fitting name, I don’t need friends I just needed a screen that didn’t go wrong and some support that covered the issues above…

I went with the latest Adafruit PiTFT Plus 480x320 3.5" TFT+Touchscreen [ADA2441]

I recommend it as supported and the correct size and still produced…

Cheers !

Buzz.

when i first got into this Pi stuff i bought all things from Adafruit,I had a 7" lcd touch that had many issues ,some likely my fault,and just trying to get a response from someone in there help forum was like pulling hens teeth,enjoy

Hi…

I am over the fact that this was not supported when needed and I used the old build however it seems (I don’t care) that Raspbian has fixed it in their new build the original issue but I have moved on as it wasn’t supported when needed! I too originally always bought Adafruit but went for this as for the 3.5" is was the precise size I need and the Hyperpixel has a higher resolution.

With Adafruit I never had an issue with software or kernel issues due to upgrades and was never perplexed by the install as it’s pretty basic and easy, never needed support for a problem that was no fault of my own. It works brilliantly for my needs as that resolution actually makes my project even better and clearer and if I break it due to the daily usage, I can get a new one, instantly, perfect.

Enjoy also this problem is sorted and closed for me.

Ta!

I’m not trying to stir anything up, but if your expecting every bit of kit to work right first time and every time, good luck with that. It isn’t going to happen.
It’s always going to be a bit of cat an mouse with stuff like this. New kernel releases often break things on older tech, that did things the “old way”. That causes a rethink of the software and that doesn’t always happen right then right now. You fix your main stream sellers first, then move on to your other hardware inventory.
monglet got his 3.5 hyperpixel to work so obviously they fixed it.

Erm, read the posts above ?

Enough repeats thanks!

I bought a new 3.5" screen from Adafruit as I posted the problem in JANUARY.

It was solved by the APRIL Rasabian build, without the help of Pimoroni support, supposedly as it’s redundant now as stated above!

I moved on and quite frankly whatever you say, Pimoroni don’t make the 3.5 inch it is now 4" so if I needed a replacement screen as due to the usage of my project daily it would be impossible.

If you want a screen that is 3.5" then there REALLY is only one solution here and quite frankly…

YOU ARE TRYING TO STIR, don’t lie, bye bye. kind of pointless babble really I am a computer scientist I am well aware of the implications of how Kernels work, bla.

This must be one of those 3.5" TFT Touchscreens that the pirates don’t sell (I know it’s not a Hyperpixel; sue me):
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pitft-plus-480x320-3-5-tft-touchscreen-for-raspberry-pi-pi-2-and-model-a-b

It even fits on one of the pirates own cases:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/pibow-pitft

I have both of the above and they work perfectly.

ho-hum.