Enviro Weather data transfer

Just got an Enviro Weather because I thought the lower power draw would be useful away from mains power (which it will!). But I am really struggling to get data sent to InfluxDB. Or perhaps the data is being sent to Influx but I haven’t got that set up correctly.
I have tried setting up Adafruit IO, but that doesn’t seem to record anything either.
Any pointers gratefully received!

Hi IainA42, I was wondering if you’ve been to send data somewhere since your post last month. I tried unsuccessfully today to set up Adafruit IO but keep getting a 404 error in the log when trying to upload. Didn’t try InfluxDB yet as the option seemed to be unavailable in the wifi config tool… that might be because my firmware is not up-to-date?

Well … I’m really struggling with the Enviro (Pico W Aboard) at the moment. It seems to take a reading and then shuts down! (Or goes to sleep and doesn’t wake up). I do have Adafruit IO working with data from the Enviro Weather HAT and I’ll set up the PIco version and see if that works (have to shut down the HAT otherwise too much data for my free connection).
Still can’t get InfluxDB to receive data - it does seem to have set something up with lots of fields, but none of them seem to have weather data in!

Ok, so this is where I’m at now. Tried uploading to adafruit io and got the 404 message. Found your message elsewhere on the forum with the solution - basically make sure you create the group first. Missed that entirely when I started on this. So now I have feeds set up - I’ll see what data comes through over the next few hours.
After that it’s back to InfluxDB…

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the updates on this. I kept experimenting as well these last few days:

1. First approach was to upload to Adafruit.io. This was fairly easy and smooth, just took a few minutes to create the account, enter the info in config and voila (once I figured the right name to call). But I wasn’t keen on using a paid service to manage my database, and the free tier doesn’t seem very good.
  2. Second approach was to use InfluxDB, but I saw that it wasn’t available in the provisioning option so switched to MQTT. I had the system configured to send by MQTT, and a MQTT broker (Mosquitto) setup on a raspberry pi 4, along with node-red receiving the MQTT payloads and injecting that to a local influxdb database. It worked… but a problem was that the timestamps were not following (the timestamp of the measurement was the timestamp of injection in the database)
  3. I read on this forum a bit and some people mentioned the same problem around timestamp injection problem. Others replied that there was a fix to implement in the enviro python code. I then realized I could enable direct influxDB destination if I updated the enviro firmware code to the latest version (duh…). I followed the instructions from the github to do this update and then managed to send to influxDB directly (using the ip address, organization name, bucket and token).

You are correct that there are a lot of different variables already in the influxDB, but in Data Explorer if you scroll down through the fields you can eventually find the Enviro ones (temperature, pressure, etc.) and they are getting populated.

However since I made the firmware update and change to InfluxDB to enviro w has been behaving very badly. Constantly having trouble connecting to wifi, showing the red LED, or having upload errors… it seems very unreliable.

As a last resort I’ll go back to MQTT and upload directly in a MariaDB database or something like that… if this doesn’t work well (read: reliable) I might just give up on using the enviro for my weather station.