This is my first project using multiple HATs together, so I wanted to check I got this right!
I’m trying to use a Hat Hacker HAT to support both a Breakout Garden Mini (I2C) and a Pirate Audio (3W Stereo) together on the same GPIO.
If I understand pHAT Stack Configurator, these two boards would have a PIN clash on PIN 36, but it seems this PIN is optional for the Pirate Audio board (in the configuration the controls can be disabled, or seemingly a different BCM PIN used).
On the Breakout Garden Hat Mini (I’m assuming the I2C version is equivalent to the full size hat, PIN 36 seems a bit more important i.e. used for the EEPROM WP.
Here is my theory:
If I disable the Pirate Audio controls (in the mopidy config file) and avoid pressing the button on the board (or even remove it), then they can work together.
- The Breakout Garden HAT is the I2C version and not the SPI version (the SPI interface is used by the Pirate Audio for the screen). I assume I also can’t use the Breakout Garden HAT with SPI support, because the Pirate Audio will already be driving it. Please tell me if I can use an SPI version!
- The Breakout Garden HAT Mini (I2C) is the same PIN configuration as the Breakout Garden HAT (I2C). I assume having 3 slots vs 6 slots is the same.
- I assume because the Pirate Audio PIN is a button on the board, it won’t be pulled high, unless pressed. I just won’t use the button).
- I can use my own additional buttons to wire the controls to different BCM of PINs if required. I don’t plan to do this as I don’t need the controls, but it might be worth considering in the future.
- Will these three boards work together based on my proposed solution?
- Could the wiring of boards on PIN 36 cause the EEPROM WP to not work correctly?
- What would the wrong signal on an EEPROM WP do to breakout components on the Breakout Garden HAT (I assume open them up to be written to)? Any steps I can take to avoid this?
- Is there any software configuration I should check to make sure they don’t conflict?
As described above, I’m new to multiple HATs so any tips welcome!