HyperPixel 4.0 Square Touch: Splash screen but no desktop

Hi together!

First, I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Despite several hours of web research I am facing still a very elementary issue with my new HyperPixel 4.0 Square Touch in combination with a Raspberry Pi Zero WH: After switching power on I see a cursor and the splash screen of the Raspberry Pi OS (32 bit, full distribution, latest image) on this amazing and charming display, but then… nothing, neither the console nor the desktop GUI.

My setup procedure is the following:

(1) flash a “fresh” SD card with the OS

(2) boot without any problem with HDMI-attached FHD display and USB keyboard/mouse combination

(3) open a terminal and execute the suggested command

curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel4 | bash

(choice 3-0: square-2021) successfully (config.txt seems to be alright)

(4) reboot

(5) see grumpily, as mentioned above, the cursor and the splash screen on the HyperPixel and the Linux desktop on the HDMI display

I tried some variants—without any success:

(a) separating the HDMI display after a complete shutdown and before a reboot

(b) repeating the complete installation with a headless setup

Do you have any suggestions? I would be very grateful!

Martin

(Please excuse my awkward English…)

I’d try Buster instead of Bullseye.

1 Like

“Mission accomplished!”

Buster instead of Bullseye works!

Thank you so much, Kerry!

Martin

That’s good news. Lots of things changed with Bullseye, especially video wise. I think Pimoroni are , at the moment, playing catch up getting all their installers to work with Bullseye.

1 Like

Can you help me out - what’s bulleye? I have the same issue - pi 3A+ the hyperpixel shows the raspberry pi boot logo for 1 second and then the screen has nothing on it. it is being powered because its glowing but i dont see anything

Bullseye is the latest release of Pi OS. If you select the Legacy Option in the Imager you get Buster.
Operating system images – Raspberry Pi

There is a fix for it, a config.txt edit I believe. I’ll see if I can find it on the Pi Forums.

Ops, the fix I was thinking of is for the official 7 inch touch screen, not the hyperpixel. Sorry about that. I thought it might fix your issue but its specific to the DSI attached screen. I think your going to have to go back to Buster.

Found this, worth a look see IMHO.
The future of HyperPixel 4 / DPI on Bullseye and beyond - Raspberry Pi Forums

1 Like