HyperPixel 4.0

Hello,

Just a simple question about the HyperPixel 4.0 non-touch display pin out. Does it use the RxTx pins as well? Also is their a pinout chart it? It would be nice to use a dac hat in addition to the display.

Thanks,

Jim

Pinout is here, I don’t know what isn’t used if its a non touch version though?

It looks like the touchscreen uses i2c as it says.

Because HyperPixel 4 uses every Raspberry Pi pin it’s difficult to use it in conjunction with other devices, but it does break out the software I2C bus (i2c 3) which you can share with the touchscreen
controller.

Your DAC more than likely uses i2s though?

Sorry my network has been down, just saw post. That said isn’t i2s buss capable of multi devices or does the HyperPixel drivers re- allocate the i2s buss into gpio’s?

If that’s the case it’s a shame because it would be perfect display for the a Audio Center concept I’m working on as the display.

Maybe Pimoroni can create one that uses the onboard DSI connector instead on day, may other option is to use on of Adafruits HDMI displays I guess.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it looks like the Hyperpixel repurposes the i2s bus for other uses. I’m no expert but I don’t think the i2s is multi device like i2c. From what I’ve seen posted, issues with multiple devices wanting to use i2s, it doesn’t appear so anyway.
As far as I know the Raspberry Pi Foundation is the only one currently using the DSI connector. I believe that is because a part of that is proprietary, and without that info you can’t make a display that will work with that bus. There are many like me wanting a bigger display to use on the DSI, 10 inch or so.

Adafruit have some small PiTFT displays that connect vis the GPIO, that “should” also let you connect a DAC for sound. I’m not sure they go as big as 4 inches though? Resolution is likely lower than the hyperpixel too.
They also have some backpack displays that use HDMI, 5 and 7 inch. I had one for a while, connectors stick out the side which I didn’t like. It was also resistive touch, not capacitive touch. The screen surface is easier to damage etc as its soft, no gorilla glass.