Hyperpixel 4 not working with cabel

I have a stack containing:

• Raspberry 4
  • Ian Canada Power Conditioner
  • AroioDAC
    for my steaming DAC with Volumio

If I plug the Hyperpixel 4 on top of the AroioDAC it will work but if I connect the display with a cable, after the boot the Volumio UI flashes shortly (show album artwork play buttons, etc.) and it become black after half a second.

Could this be a power consumption issue? Has a 15cm cable so much impact on this? Does the display has an own power connector?

It’s more likely its i2s messing up the Hyperpixel. The Hyperpixel uses all of the GPIO pins and repurposes them for special functions, including the ones normally used for i2s.

Sorry but I’m newbie. I understand, messing up the GPIO is not a good idea. But it works if I place it directly on the GPIO on top of the AroioDAC but not if I use a cable between the AroioDAC and the display. So there is no conflict with the boards and data. Also it works for a second after booting Volumio. It shows the correct screen for just one second. So what do you mean with messing up the I2S in this case?

The DAC on your hat almost certainly uses i2s.

Those same pins are used for another function by the Hyperpixel.

That’s a conflict and causes issues. It may work, but will likely fail once you try to play sound through the DAC. The i2s signals are going to mess with the display signals on those pins.

Ok, than I can put the display in the trash. This is a pity. This was the third display I tested and the best one. Any suggestions? Alternative displays?
In the product description is mentioned an alternate I2C interface. Could this help?

The alternate i2c won’t help as your DAC uses i2s.

What resolution? Touch non touch? Size?

GPIO connected screens that use SPI “should” be fine, the PiTFT ones.
Pimoroni: Raspberry Pi, Adafruit, micro:bit, and Arduino in the UK

The Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen uses the DSI connector, has mounting studs on the back for your Pi and has cases for it.

Or go HDMI. There is a touch version of this one.

I want to build my own streaming amplifier like Cambridge Audio EVO. For this touch is only optional. I don’t need touch because I want to control the streamer from my couch. I build my own case and the display should not have more than 4inch and not below 2.8inch.
I like the high resolution and quality of the hyperpixel. Also the pimeroni square displays looks very interesting. It’s a pity that they wont work.
I think HDMI will be the easiest option but it need an extra USB connection and I want to have acces to the connections of the PI from outside the case. I’m currently thinking about a DSI display but don’t know if drivers could be a problem with Volumio.
Thanks for your help.

The SPI PiTFT ones may also be an issue in Volumnio setup wise, as they often use a custom kernel. The resolution is also on the low side IMHO.

Have you looked at the Pirate Audio?

To be honest, I‘m more looking more on the High end side, with own clock (Reclocker), clean linear power, based on Boards from Ian Canada. Currently I’m starting cheaper with the AroioDAC (from a German high end manufacturer). This board has own clock, one for 44,1kHz multiplier and one for 48kHz multiplier. This allows me to collect experiences, because the trouble with the display shows me the problems. The display should be kept while the DAC and Amplifier grows. The milling of the front is more expensive than my complete current test stage, so I don‘t want to change the display later.

OK, fair enough. The only Pi I currently play music on is a Pirate Radio based on the pHat Beat and just streams Classic Rock from the Internet. No display on that one. Very basic simple operation, just some buttons for volume up down etc.
I do have a Pirate Audio Speaker on my itty bitty beat box. Display isn’t used though, its just something for my grand daughter to have fun with playing drum and piano sounds.

I wish you good luck on your quest.

Finally. I appreciate your help, thanks. I’m sorry, but for now I found another solution. The DSI display I selected now works like I want. Perhaps in the future the Hyperpixel will also get an DSI connector. But for now…

1 Like