Ideas for large (~75cm square) cheap HDMI displays

Hi
I’ve had an idea for a Halloween project. My house has two 1m square windows separated with a small gap upstairs that would be perfect to put those Adafruit animated eyes in.

I can use a Pi and Adafruit’s HDMI code and a splitter to get two images but I’m stuck on what to connect to.
The obvious answer is two computer monitors but the only ones I have are 22" and 24" and would probably look too small in a 1mx1m window. I really don’t want to try to buy 2 large proper monitors just to make a decoration for a few hours.

Does anyone have any ideas under about £50 for this? Low res would be entirely fine. I thought maybe cheap Fresnel lenses but would those work at enlarging the monitors displays for someone in the street outside? I don’t think they work that way.

Are there really cheap little projectors that I could project onto from inside the room to get the effect maybe?

Liam

TV maybe? Mine has HDMI in.

I’d need two (and don’t actually have any)

Ok, if you had had one big screen on hand it would have likely worked.

Are there really cheap little projectors that I could project onto from inside the room to get the effect maybe?

I was going to suggest some sort of rear-projection system, but I’ve honestly no idea what the small projectors are like. I’d guess that you’d need as high a brightness as possible and to keep the room dark? I suppose the benefit is that you might be able to use a single projector for both windows. Ebay has some very cheap projectors but I’d guess they may not be bright enough.

Projectors were a great idea. I got a pair of the cheapest projectors I could find on ebay. They are only 240p resolution but that is plenty for this, and a Pi3 and a HDMI splitter. I hung some sheer fabric over the windows and it worked very well indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AyB_8Np47H4

OK, I had to put one projector on an ironing board, and put the ironing board on the bed…

The lights below are using a pair of plasma 2040s and RGB wire in diffused channel.

2 Likes