Introduce yourself!

Hi I am Gaz I go by Dr Victory in many of my creative endeavours, invading from the Arduino side here to probably ask distracting questions related to using pimoroni products with my cute little teensy 4.0. I am trying to work towards a custom groovebox / midi controller to use for my own music

my turn
thierry older than most but still in order.
started playing with PI beginning 2021.
5 months latter i am working on 2 small projects : pantilt camera inside a bird cage to monitor newborns in the nests
and planet finder which mixtes many technologies including 3D printing
many more to come i hope.

I’m a retired engineering psychologist and embedded systems designer (79). My hobbies are photography, ham radio and electronics, especially microcontrollers and FPGAs.

1 Like

Hi, I’m John started learning code in my 50’s am very much a copy and paste guy.
Am building a model boat with a Raspberry pi and various PiBorg boards.

cheers
John

1 Like

Hi, my name’s Andrea (I’m a male) and I live nearby Venice, Italy.
I’m a front end web developer since 2009 and I’m trying to make my first steps with Raspberry just for fun.

See ya around 😊

Hello, shipmates.

An introductory post, names Mark. I use this handle most places. A Male, on his 47th trip around the sun, from the UK.

A long time tech nerd. Just getting into Raspberry Pi stuff and mostly failing at Python.

Own several Pi’s, some Enviros, a few PC’s running Linux. An avid supporter of FoldAtHome.

Look forward to interacting with you in the future!

Hello, I’m Randal, I’m a very, very amateur engineer, I like to DIY small interesting projects, I don’t know much about Raspberry Pi, I’ve been using Arduino before, but I’m ready to learn something new so I came here, I hope I can learn more here and can share my own projects.

Ahoy, mateys!

I am Bob, operating under the handle of ‘horsebadorties’. I’ve programmed in python on & off for maybe 20 years, but am an electronics ignoramus. I’ve just acquired a Pimoroni Keybow 2040, and am enjoying learning circuit python. It’s a whole new ballgame.

Avast!

Hello I’m Mark. I use tech all the time in work and have made an IOT manager for RPi, USB HID keyboard for RPi, built a usb midi device for Itsy Bitsy.

I make music with various devices. You can hear my music (Mairk) on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5Z4n6zyGIm3kOrAF4TJUWS

My handle and code is on GitHub @markcity
https://github.com/markcity

I’m currently trying to get something useful out of QT PY M0 but fear it is too tiny ( memory ) for what I want to achieve.

Hi! I’m Tim and I create a ton of Pico projects such as Arcade games and various other 3D printed Pico projects! (take a peek here at the Pico Arcade I’m working on … Pico Arcade 3D Printed - YouTube )
I’ve been programming on the Raspberry Pi since it came out and code in C++ for extra speed.
Pimoroni is my go to shop for almost all the extra’s I need for my projects.

Hello All
I’m a 75 year old who has always enjoyed tinkering. I have many hobbies and have always enjoyed building electronic projects. I have to confess to having no real understanding of the field but am pretty good at following (good) instructions and not too bad with a soldering iron.
Many years ago when the Box of Delights was first televised (in the 80s) I built a Box (of delights) for my kids . When they opened the lid a star shaped array of leds illuminated in a repeating pattern running from the outer to the inner. The idea was to give the effect of drawing the viewer into the Box to ‘discover’ what delights it might hold. It still works! However, I don’t think it will satisfy my grandchildren who will doubtless be expecting something much more sophisticated. My thoughts were to build a smart wooden box to house a 32x32 RGB array with all the electronics and battery hidden at the base of the box, with some fascinatingly hypnotic patterns scrolling around the array. Is this a practical proposition? If so, I would very much like to hear from anyone here willing to give clear instructions and advice.
Anyone who has any other suggestions, please don’t hesitate to share them.
Looking forward to hearing from one or even some of you.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Welcome aboard.

Best to start a new thread on your Smart Wooden Box. The specific thread title will steer the interested ones to your topic. ;)
The Unicorn Hat HD is pretty cool. 256 RGB LED pixels in a 16x16 matrix. I have two on the go here. The example demo files do some really cool patterns on it, I was impressed. And no having to solder on a header etc. A 3A+ IMHO, is a good match for it. Same footprint, presoldered header, full sized HDMI and USB Jack. You might need a USB hub to set it up depending on what USB keyboard and mouse you have. I have several 3A+'s on the go Running Motion Eye OS, headless camera setups.

Thank you very much for that quick response, alphanumeric. I will do as you suggest. Have you any pics of the projects you mentioned?

My project pictures are at the link below, its my Public OneDrive folder.
The Unicorn Hat HD was used in a couple of my Weather Clock builds. I display scrolling messages with day, date, time, temperature etc. All color coded based on conditions.

EDIT: Looks like I have to update some of them. The portable Weather Clock now has a Unicorn Hat HD in place of the Sense Hat, same as the indoor one.

Hi, I’m Chris - interested in anything electronics and raspberry pi. Decent knowledge of electronics however limited knowledge of programing. I’m here for help!

Afternoon all! :)
Hmn, interests, difficult. Interested in electronics and programming. Rapid prototyping and messing around learning new things. Here for and to give help and knowledge sharing. Also because pirates, man. pirates

Hi, I’m Peter and my Username is my initials - PCY (for Peter Cyriax) which I guess is somewhat more unique that “Peter”.

I have been involved in designing computer systems and writing software for about 50 years now, including trying to design a computer in the early days - we spent a lot of time winding copper wire round ferrite rings to create some RAM!

More recently I have been working on a Yacht Racing instriment system based on the Pi4. This uses CanBus HATs to provide NMEA 2000 (which is a marine protocol on top of CanBus) connectivity.

You can think of NMEA 2000 (N2K) as similar to an ethernet connection but:
Much more reliable, and waterproof
Able to deliver Power (12 v) as well as data
Limited in speed and range
It (or rather Cambus on which it is based) is used extensively in Cars and Aeroplanes.

Typically a system of this sort consists of a number of waterproof “boxes”, in this case each driven by a Pi4 with a CanBus Hat and connected via N2K. One “Interface” Box collects all sensor inputs that are NOT N2K (N2K) and forwaards them to the System Box via N2K. The “System” Box accepts all the sensor inputs (which may include multiple sources for the same data - things like position, boat speed, wind velocity) via N2K and filters them to produce a single set of (hopefully more accurate) sensor values. For instance a 9-axis motion sensor can be used to improve the accuracy of speeed sensor data. It also derives new values - if you know the “apparent wind” from the yacht’s wind desnsors and the boat speed, you can calulate the true wind speed and direction (relative to the water surface). Equally fom Boat speed and direction (through the water) plus GPS speed and direction you can figure out the Tide.

The “System” Box then outputs the derived and filtered yacht performance parameters via a second N2K network to the displays. This separate network ensures that the “Display” Boxes all see only the one cleaned up value for any given data item. The “Display” boxes each run off a Pi4 with a CanBus Hat driving a High Viz 10" diagonal HDMI screen.

Some interface software is written in C++ (to interface with N2K and with sensors connected to the GPIO pins) but most is written in Dyalog APL, using Websocket Tecnology to drive the displays.

As well as the software there is some engineering and electronics work in this project. The Boxes have to be waterproof, but still provide cooling - the Pi4 seems to run upto 5W and the High Viz screens 15W; but there box is entirely sealed and no fans are used (far too unreliable). Currently we have one electronic circuit to monitor the 12 V supply and tell the Pi to shut itself down when this is switched off; another to interface with speed and water temperature units, and a third to convert GPS sensor data from serial IO to USB.

All in all… it’s a lot of fun.

Peter

1 Like

Hello! My name is Kallisti. I am a maker and stay at home mom from the Seattle area. I mostly make cosplay and larp props but I’ve made things for escape rooms as well. My desire to incorporate lights, sound, and motion got me into more and more complex electronics and robotics which is what has brought me here.

1 Like

My name is Mr. Mack. I’m mostly here just to ask for help and lurk. I’d also like to provide help to others, but I’m a bit new to all of this, so there may not be much I can do there.

1 Like

Hi, I’m xavi from spain. First of all Iwant to thank you for the future help that I’m sure you will bring me and say I really like to code in python and do any kind of automation