Introduce yourself!

Welcome aboard. Lot’s of cool car ODB stuff here. Don’t let the site title scare you off, its not what you might think.
https://hackaday.com/?s=OBD

1 Like

Tanks for the response :-)

Hi, my name is Dan. I have been in technology support as a career and have been playing around with Pi for a little while. I just recently got a Pi zero w to make a free/busy light for my wife who works from home. I am excited to see what other cool things I can make! Great to be here!

Hi,

I’m Mark.

I am a software developer, mostly windows and web using C#, .net core etc, studied electrical engineering and both build and developed software for test equipment etc from about the mid 90’s to about 2000, and been doing web development since then… just started playing with the raspberry pi for a prototype and using C# / Mono apps to get started, and getting back into some basic electronics…

Happy to help out with C# programming etc and hope I can both learn and contribute to the forum.

Hey, welcome. I also joined here form the community. Unfortunately the ways I can incorporate the rPi into work isn’t as easy being a Farrier. Heat camera, 3d scanner (to 3d print donkey/hinney specialized glue on 3d printed plastic shoes for issues) as well as portable biological profile database on equides are all I really have thought of, none of which yet pursued.
From my early teens I was an active dialup Electric Bulletin Board community member. Now decades after the life of the 8088 - 80386 era has passed I find some nostalgic essence here as well as in other rPi and Esp32/esp8266 RTOS and vintage dos communities as well… Welcome!

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrea and I’m a technology passionate and expert. I’ve recently got in love with Pimoroni technology and I clearly see the potential of the overall solution.
Moreover, I believe this technology can dramatically help in improving lots of opensource projects fitting in the sensor and ARM devices use-cases.
Looking forward to contributing!

Andrea

Hi all,
i’m Armando and i’m an happy Pimoroni device user

I be Jake The Peg, the “Iron Pyrite” as I transitioned from computers to metal working once we no longer repaired at component level, many years ago. Served my time on pieces of 8 (bit), now we are into pieces of 32 and 64… I combine computing, CAD, metal working and rapid prototyping. Recent owner of a Pi400 to see if it can be used as a business machine as well as general tinkering.

Noob some would say… Naaaa Jim lad, that be my extra leg.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Mike.
My background is in Electronics and Software. Beginning in the mid 70’s I started a career as an electronics communication technician but discovered the new-fangled microprocessors during my basic training. After 15 years of maintaining everything from teleprinters to satellite ground stations while building and programming home computers as a hobby, I finally switched careers to software engineering working on avionic flight control systems. With much experience in varied languages and operating systems, I am ashamed to say my project output is almost non-existant. I have spent all my time examining and admiring everybody else’s. With the advent of the Arduino and then the Pi I thought that might change but they just resulted in an explosion of new makers with more content for me to view.

Howdy,

I’m Aaron and I seem to be in the habit of biting off more than I can chew. So I’m here looking for some help, initially with an indoor air quality setup using an Enviro+.

I’m a rank amateur with working with the RPi even though I’m not completely unfamiliar with it. I think it’s the Linux based OS that always throws me for loops as I’m, you guessed it, a filthy Windows user.

I’m getting better with electronics in general or at least I’m getting zapped less. I’m also not a programmer, in fact every time I’ve tried to learn how it’s been something I’ve rapidly found almost anything else to distract me. I can tweak code, but I’ve got no formal training, but I’m really good at restoring previous code when I inevitably hose something up.

Welcome aboard. I also have no formal Python training. It’s been learn as you go for me.
A lot of my code is “borrowed” from examples. I can usually figure out what a block of code does, the end result. I just have no idea “how” it does it what it does, lol.
It’s still a lot of fun when it all works, even if you don’t know exactly how you got from A to B.
I make a lot of crib notes. Sooner or latter that thing you made last year glitches. The notes usually save me another round of Google searches trying to figure out how I did it the first time. If I have to start over fresh my notes really speed things up and make it easier. ;)

1 Like

Growing up a trsDos or MsDos kid, when I installed my first version of linux (with 16 of 1.44mb 3.5 “hard” floppy disks and two full days in 94ish) I had to make a glossary cheat sheet of all the linux commands next to my usual dos commands so I could look them up. I never was a fan of windows. I probably still only have a so many dozens of hours on windows since 3.0 when the tech tide hi water mark of our US educational system was left. Since then I was quite disenfranchised with it. For years on I used ansi graphic based word processors and DOS.
I really wish unicode was as cool as ANSi. When it comes to networking forums you really don’t need to burden the processors with so much graphic demands. I would rather serve more ppl then have svga+ or HD graphics. ANSi is an art I still love to dabble with and why I run dosbox (for thedraw). Guess I am just nostalgic.

Hi, I’m Rob. I got my first soldering iron and multimeter circa 1964, wrote my first program in 1971 then retired a few years back. The bit in between is a something of a blur in places, but mostly revolved around shuffling bits and bytes from one place to another.

I bought a Pi a year or two before I retired but, pressure of work and all that, didn’t do much beyond initially commissioning it. All the details of which I have now forgotten.

So I asked my son to buy me something to drive from the Pi for Christmas 2020. A LED string duly arrived from Pimoroni. So now I have to work out what to do with it.

Let the new adventure commence.

Hi. I bought various pimoroni things on amazon.
I just made another purchase at MicroCenter.
I just got an inky wHAT display in red.

Hi,
I’m Bob. I’ve been using Linux on my desktop and laptop computers for about twenty years. I am comfortable using CLI, and have dipped my toe in the water with bash, perl and python scripting, but am definitely not fluent in any of them.
I started playing with Raspberry Pis three or four years ago. My first one was a Pi zero W, which is now working 24/7 as my local DNS server, running unbound and Pi-hole. I also have a Pi3 B+ and a Pi4 B+. I control all of them via SSH.

Hello I am Marc , from Barcelona Spain , thank you for this forum. I work with Raspberry pi for lots of projects.

I’m Jonathan – I retired in 2013, after 25 years as a GNUnix sys admin, working in academic and commercial computing, in the US and abroad.

It’s interesting, the Raspberry Pi was originally intended to get “kids” into programing. One of the reasons for it anyway. But I see a fair number of older people getting into it too. =) I include myself in that group by the way, =)
Somebody has to show the new kids how it was done. :P

Welcome Johnathan

I’m another coder from a bygone age, I’m 76. I started programming in 1968 on an IBM 1130 (8K of 16-bit core storage) with a pseudo-assembler called C&G319 (designed for a starter course in programming by the City & Guilds Institute in London) and FORTRAN IV. I taught Computer Science and IT in Secondary Community colleges until I retired 15 years ago - ages 14 to adult.

I still get a kick out of getting something new to work and coding is an ideal hobby during winter lockdown.

I’m Rick, 31 years of age.
Working as a mechanical engineer at a company in the food industry.
At home I find myself tinkering with all things mechanical.
Recently started a project with a friend of mine to do some aerial photography, works fine with the rc gear I had lying around but we wanted more.
So that’s how I ended up here! :)