Is it possible to get a Pi Camera 3 working with Raspberry Pi 4 with Buster OS

Hi,
I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3 from Pimoroni. The device I wish to use it with is a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB running Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)) in an Argon One M.2 case. One function of this device is as a CCTV with a USB web cam using “motion” to capture video when movement is detected. However, the video quality is pretty rubbish using the webcam, so I decided to purchase the new Pi Camera Module 3 to improve it (and reduce processing power as it currently gets very hot!).

I followed the following getting started guides:

However, the camera is not detected. When I run the command
vcgencmd get_camera
I always get the response
supported=1 detected=0
Which is the same as if the camera is not plugged in at all. I have checked the camera cable is the correct way round on both ends. I have enabled the camera and I2C in raspi-config interfaces and added the following line to /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=imx708
I have not yet tried the camera on other Raspberry Pi devices (which I have a few of). The device I want to use it with has other software running on it that I have not yet tested with Bullseye, so I am not ready to upgrade to Bullseye.

The new cameras will only be supported by libcamera. Does Buster have that?
New Camera module 3 autofocus/HDR camera thread - Raspberry Pi Forums

On the page:
(second link in original post as I can’t add it again?)
" Users running Buster will need to install one of the libcamera-apps packages first and then configure their /boot/config.txt file with the appropriate overlay for the connected camera. Be aware that libcamera and the legacy raspicam stack cannot operate at the same time - to return to the legacy stack after using libcamera you will need to comment out the dtoverlay change you made and reboot the system."
I installed libcamera using the following command:
sudo apt install libcamera-apps

next steps to try would be on a different board if available

failing that, with a multimeter:
check continuity on the cable
check power is getting to the camera module

The camera works fine with my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB that I have at home with Bullseye on it, using the same cable connected the same way. raspi-config interfaces legacy camera set to no and I2C set to yes. The Argon One M.2 case is not very camera friendly as I had to move the fan slightly to allow the cable to exit the case, maybe the cable is being restricted by this, but I don’t think so as it will slide in and out when the case is built up.

Did you discover the truth!?

I’m having the same issue on Pi4 8gb with Buster and V3 camera.

Libcamera up to date. config.txt modified.

I gave up and put Bullseye on it.

1 Like