Keyboard configuration

Hello

I am trying to configure mappings in emulationstation without success. The Picade (I have 2, but for now trying to configure one) is detected as keyboard (I also tried with gamepad firmware but any button is not recognized) and can map the select (select), start (coin) and escape button (both select and start), but don’t know how to set the esc/return buttons on the right side. On the config screen I am presented a gamepad setup and there is no option/name for esc/return.

could you please help me or provide a working config ?

thanks in advance and best regards
Michele

Is this two Picade PCBs being used with one Pi?

yes 2 pcb connected to on pi (3)

have edited manually the retroarch.cfg trying to duplicate the player 1 settings without success

That wont work unfortunately. The only way to have multiple input devices is to switch them into Gamepad mode.

See: New 2.x Configurable Keyboard/Gamepad Firmware

Once the firmware is updated, you’ll need to connect to your Picade with serial somehow and send it:

g
s

g will load the quick gamepad setting, and s will save it.

In your case a quick Python script on the Pi that does the following should suffice:

import serial
picade = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyACM0',9600,timeout=1.0)
picade.write("g")
print(picade.readline().strip())
picade.write("s")
print(picade.readline().strip())

Changing /dev/ttyACM0 to the relevant device if you have multiple connected.

I should probably compile a version of the firmware that has the gamepad bindings set by default!

thanks that did the trick!! do I need to perform it after each boot?

I noticed one thing, on the second controller the front buttons perform different actions (e.g game reset instead of insert coin), is this a mame issue?

I think it’s a mame issue, but I’ve not had the time to look into it myself. mame is a bit of a minefield on RetroPie it seems. There are quite a few posts with similar problems on this forum, but I can’t seem to dig up one with a solution.

thanks. I confirm I have to reload the python after each boot, will add into some boot scripts.

regarding the mapping of the right buttons, any hint on how to configure the esc/ent commands? am not familiar in emulationstation and don’t know how to map them

thanks

I, too, am not overly familiar with EmulationStation so I don’t have a good answer for that. I need to find more time to play games o… I mean test… Picade.