Pirate Audio - Black Screen

I got the Pirate Audio - SMOL Speaker. I can’t get it to work after trying for days and countless hours.

I’ve installed, re-installed, I’ve done it manually, I’ve done it automatically. I’ve tested and tweaked and tried various different Rasp Pi OS’s and nothing. I’ve tried it on Pi 4, Pi 2, Pi Zero W. I’ve tried with 4 different Micro SD cards.

I am stuck with a black screen that is lit up and during setup phases occasionally flashes like it is doing something, but ultimately nothing I just want it to show an address so I can try and configure the rest of it.

I’m about to chuck it out the window and then run it over.

Do I just have a bad one? Is there something else I can be doing? Thanks.

UPDATE: I got the server to work @ address 127.0.0.1:6680. I have a song loaded. The song plays in the browser.

Crazy thing? The buttons on the Pirate Audio work. I can switch songs and turn volume up and down BUT there is no sound coming out of the Pirate Audio speaker. Looking at the Rasp Pi sound output, it does say: snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac but no sound coming out. It does show on the browser though that sound is playing. The screen is also BLACK, but lit up. No image on screen.

I may have misunderstood but it won’t become the default screen for the Pi. You will still have to connect a monitor or SSH in to do any setup changes or tweaks. Apologies if I have gotten that wrong.

How are you telling it to play the tunes you want to play

Thanks for response. Here is current status:

I got the server to work @ address 127.0.0.1:6680. I have a song loaded. The song plays in the browser.

Crazy thing? The buttons on the Pirate Audio work. I can switch songs and turn volume up and down BUT there is no sound coming out of the Pirate Audio speaker. Looking at the Rasp Pi sound output, it does say: snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac but no sound coming out. It does show on the browser though that sound is playing. The screen is also BLACK, but lit up. No image on screen.

Correct. Right now I have HDMI setup. Should I disconnect the HDMI? I just want it to play the music stuff and display the music server info of what is playing.

Well I wasn’t because I couldn’t get anything to work, but I finally got Mopidy to install with Iris and have now am playing through there. But NO SOUND or Image on the Pirate Audio screen.

I misunderstood what and where you were at, so ignore my other reply.
I’m no expert on this but I don’t think all streams provide the song info etc. I listen to a internet classic rock station on my Pirate Radio, old one with a pHat Beat. If I listen to that stream on my PC in Windows Media Player all I get is a blank screen. No album art or song title etc.

1 Like

Great. I am listening to a stream using the Mopidy software, but to be clear, I’ve activated two items:

1. Local music
  2. Spotify

Nothing shows. I also have no music from the speaker.

Question: Do you get music playing through the speaker even if nothing on the screen?

Further once you do the autosetup and restart it is supposed to show the IP address of the server. I did not even get that. I had to get the IP address through other means.

Thanks!

So while looking in Mopidy/Iris, it would seem that there is no OUTPUT speaker. It doesn’t recognize anything and that’s why it isn’t outputting anything I assume?

I’m going to drop out of this one. I have never used Mopidy Spotify etc. I’ve only just streamed internet radio and my current setup with a pHat Beat doesn’t have a display.
There should be somebody out there that has it working though, one would think anyway.

1 Like

I just ran this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I wonder if maybe the speaker is defective? The DAC is working but the speaker isn’t?

How did this resolve? Did you get it working? Having the same problem. I’ve actually tried 3 different sound cards to build my toddler a music player and all of them have failed for different reasons. It would be really great to solve this finally!