PiratePython - Pirate Radio

Thnx,

Honestly, I don’t understand the meaning and purpose with “dropbear host keys” Please remember I am not a programmer.

First: I did replace the new initrd file to the original v20180201 image. Still having problem changing stations

Second: I used the new v20180201a image and still problems changing stations…

So, the “sudo iw wlan set power_save off”, is that a command I need for every reboot or not ?

It seems I am lost under yesterdays heavy snowstrom in Southern Finland.

But just outof pure curiosity I will try follow up this headless mini pirate python radio version.

Pantiltphat, phatbeat and speakerphat are for me best ever products from Pimoroni

1 Like

The v20180201a should not have the problem. I’ve had mine running now for more than 12 consecutive hours without it locking up. Just hit play this morning for some 90s dance, haha!

I wonder if something else is going wrong with your setup, or if I somehow failed to package up the v20180201a version correctly!

Yes that command should be run after every reboot. If you’re careful not to mess up the line-endings (programming is painful!) you can put this in boot.sh right after it calls boot.py.

The dropbear host keys are basically the identification files that your Pi uses to negotiate a secure connection over SSH - dropbear is a lightweight SSH server. Having unique ones on each Pi is an important security consideration, even if it might not be essential in this use case.

1 Like

I stand corrected! Just had a network lock-up. Weirdly my SSH session kept right on running though. I’m going to roll back some recent changes to the kernel configuration which I suspect might be present in this release.

I’ve been making quite a few changes that, if successful, wont make any apparent difference, but should let me add some nice touches.

1 Like

If there is a wish list of features, something I would like to see is keyboard, media key support. The volume up down, pause, change channel (next previous) etc. I have a mini wireless keyboard that would be great for that. I’ve done something similar with an IR remote and a FLIRC but its glitchy and unreliable. It just randomly stops working. Might be my really cheap remote though.

1 Like

That’s a tricky one, since the USB port is used in client-mode when the Pi Zero boots, allowing a host PC to transfer music/change settings etc. It’s something that has been requested before, though, or otherwise pointed out, and it’s a good idea.

If you have a smartphone, that can also serve as a remote using the RC interface: pirateradio.local:9294 or the web UI.

1 Like

No smart phone, or dumb phone lol. Just a landline phone here. I got keyboard control to work in vlcradio with some trickery. You helped me immensely with that. I used a FLIRC which emulates a USB keyboard. https://flirc.tv/ Then controlled that with a cheap IR remote. It proved to be unreliable though. It just randomly stops working. I may revisit it and try to sort it out or improve it.
Use a media keyboard with your pHat Beat, can it be done?
One issue with that method is the keys I want to use, the media keys, don’t give any codes. So I end up using the arrow keys etc instead. Anyway, its off topic so I won’t dwell on it any further.

Keep up the good work =)

Hi

I have set up Pirate Radio with the current image pirateradio-v20180202.zip
Connects to WIFI on boot.
Internet Radio starts on boot.
Crackles on startup.
Sound is smooth.
Can change channels.
Can adjust the volume.
Can connect via USB to PC.
Comes up as “piratepython” on my modem, regardless of what I change it to the settings file.
Can get the login box using http://piratepython.local:8080 or the ip-address.
Can not login due to either password or error msg - Your connection to this site is not private. Is this my firewall?

1 Like

I checked briefly version v20180202.zip. changed wpa_supplicant and playlist to fit my location. Ok.

• Starts playing on boot
  • Vol UP/DN works
  • FF or REW do NOT work
1 Like

Spud just enter password only as p1r4t3 no username

Thanks will give it a go on the weekend.

Where do you type in all the commands for the computer board? Python?

You need to be more specific, what commands exactly? By “computer board” do you mean the Raspberry Pi?

Yesterday I got my little Pirate Radio. It is now up and working as an internet radio. But I have a question/observation.

In all the documentation it refers to the playlist being in /home/pi/.config/vlc/playlist.m3u.
After the initial install this file did not exist, but there was a playlist active. I could not find the file holding this playlist to edit it. It was only when I put the playlist in /boot that the playlist under .config appeared.
Was I missing something, or does the documentation need updating?

Yours, Plummet

Try sudo nano /etc/vlcd/default.m3u
Putting your own in /boot will replace the one I listed above with yours. On a clean install of pirate radio I believe its the one you want to edit.

I have this installed and it is working except I’m not having any luck logging in with the password p1r4t3 with no username.

Also where is the settings.txt file that is reference located?

Thanks

You can access the Pirate Radio from a web browser.

Enter the following address into the web browser:
http://raspberrypi:8080 or http://pi-ip-address:8080

• At the login prompt leave the username field empty, password is “raspberry”

My little Pirate Radio is now working happily. I have a playlist set up amd my wife and I can both control the channel it is playing through the vlc web interface.

So the next question is …

On the web interface you can see the ability to use the device as a media player. Can anyone tell me where it is expecting to see the audio files, or do I need a file similar to the playlist.3mu to point at the files, and what should it look like?

Ta in hope.

Plummet

alphanumeric
The file /etc/vlcd/default.m3u is just the default file - used for only the initial install. Once you have a working system editing it makes no difference. So far the only way I have found of changing the playlist is putting a new version in /boot. I have been searching the file system for where the /boot version is moved, but without success.

Does anyone have a clue?

Plummet

OK, it was many moons ago when I tried to edit the one actually in use and add to it. Plus, I’ve only done it on the normal Pirate Radio curl Install. Lately I just put my small custom file in /boot and let it get copied to where ever it goes.

Yes - that is what I found. What I want to do is to upload music
to the radio, add it to the playlist, and reload the playlist
using the button on the html interface, without having to reboot
the radio.

Plummet