PMS5003 on Arduino

Hi,

I am trying to get the PMS5003 to display data via the serial monitor on Arduino Uno but I have had no luck. Is it possible? I have got the PMS5003 sensor hooked up to the pm breakout to the raspberry pi.

It should work fine. Exactly which way do you have it wired up and which code are you using?

EDIT: the datasheet says that the pins operate at 3.3V, it may not like the 5V from an Arduino.

Thanks for your reply. I want to use the code from this website because I ultimately want to use it with a GPS and the components are the same as mine but it gives me an error message and I cant work it out. But at the moment I would be great to just see some data from it. I have used lots of different codes that i have found online. here is a link to one. I am not sure what they mean by “To use this example with the PM2.5 sensor, you’ll need to make some changes.”

As Shoe mentioned, the UNO uses 5V logic. The Raspberry Pi uses 3.3v logic. Using 5V on something designed for 3.3V can damage it. Some devices are 5V tolerant and can auto adjust, if they can’t bad things can happen. You may need a logic level converter between the UNO and the PMS5003.

Thanks for your reply. On the breakout bord it says 5v and there is a resistor on the back I think see picture

That could be any SMT component? And even if it is a resistor that doesn’t mean it does what you think it does.
I use a lot of Pimoroni Breakout Garden Breakouts, the ones that can use 5V logic or 3.3v logic have the V+ pin marked as 3 - 6V.
Disclaimer, I’m not saying this is an issue for you, just that you should be aware of things like this. There are Arduino’s that use 3.3v logic. I have an MKR1000 that uses 3.3v logic and Uno’s that use 5V logic. That’s how I know about this.

On the breakout bord it says 5v and there is a resistor on the back I think see picture

The datasheet on the product page says that 5V is required for the fan, but the UART bus runs at 3V3 and may be damaged by 5V. Try connecting it to a Pi and see if it still works.

That component on the board is a capacitor, in this case I think it’s being used to smooth out spikes and drops in the 5V supply line (motors like the one in the fan can cause those sometimes).

At a quick glance that code seems sensible, so I’d definitely check the IO voltage. As @alphanumeric said, if the device hasn’t been damaged a level shifter like this one may be required.

Thanks for your reply i have ordered one and will see if that works