Raspberry pi hardware diagnostic tools?

two months ago i bought a raspberry pi during the pi sale so it is not the most recent pi. It during a raspberian update (apt) died with a kernel failure on boot after a month.

So i set it up again with a newer image of the software- i now cannot access the wifi and the thing is not overclock-able anymore according to raspi-config.

I can open wlan0

wlan0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether b8:27:eb:d6:38:28 txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

Do i have a dud unit and how can I check

I do not use wifi (headless) but i would like to know if i will be setting it again sooner rather than later and if losing access to things on the pi is a sign of a defect.

What’s the problem with WiFi. What version of Raspbian are you running? Post the output of:

lsb_release -a
uname -a

You’ll might find it spitting out “WiFi Country Not Set” errors. You need to run the Raspberry Pi Configuration app and select your country in Localisation.

I set the wifi country code, but lxde shows it as unavailable. Essentially it was working prior to the unbootable kernal apt left we with.

uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.34-v7+ #1110 SMP Mon Apr 16 15:18:51 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)
Release: 9.4
Codename: stretch

Linux can be great for hardware diagnosis (no means no) but i am still wondering what caused my first configuration to die.

I also had a console Undervoltage warning from the pi using pimoroni’s also new power brick recently as i left the hdmi connected.

Neither the Zero’s/Pi3 or Pi3B+ have any official overclock settings. So you won’t see any in raspi-config.

I’m assuming it’s a Pi3, but you don’t actually mention.

Undervolt means just that, but if temporary on boot it could mean it cannot quite cope.

What SD card (Pimoroni supplied?) and have you set an overclock for the SD card at all (it would be a manual config.txt edit)