Skywriter Hat issue = An invalid GestiIC Library was stored, or the last update failed

My skywriter hat worked until there was some Hill something update notice.

The firmware update did not seem to go well.

Focal point of error: An invalid GestiIC Library was stored, or the last update failed

The rest…any ideas?

My error:
ython synth.py
Got firmware info
LL0:100.14;p:H
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 107, in run
if self.todo() == False:
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 336, in _do_poll
handle_firmware_info(data)
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/skywriter.py”, line 296, in handle_firmware_info
raise Exception(“An invalid GestiIC Library was stored, or the last update failed”)
Exception: An invalid GestiIC Library was stored, or the last update failed

Populating temp PD file: /tmp/tmp3SmxXi
Started PD with PID: 1525
File: /tmp/tmp3SmxXi
Attempting to connect to PD
Connected to PD

Skywriter XL not working

I’m not clear on what created your issue, a Pi software update or something else? Please, give us as much details as you can about the steps that lead to a working system leading where you are now.

I attached sky writer hat to pi zero w and installed software.
Test.py or synth.py ran and returned position data along with the north,south or east west .
Cannot remember which example…but it worked.
I shutdown the pi at command line and went to sleep.

Next day, after boot I ran synth.py and got this sort of error:

f I move my hand over or tap the sensor nothing happens, except the same stream of firmware info.

Got firmware info
1.1.18;p:Hills
Got firmware info
Got firmware info

So I followed the instruction to solve this from the thread and:

git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/skywriter-hat cd firmware sudo python ./update.py

I do not have exact errors, but it it went through blocks 1 to 108 and then would say update failed and then try to update again.

So now it gives the error I posted first.

Wow…is that it? I followed directions from another blog post and now I am out of luck? So is it now just a waste of my money and a paperweight?

Can someone give me options? Or should I just consider the Skywriter and Pimoroni a waste of time as well as money?

I suspect that @gadgetoid may be able to help here. If we can’t get the problem solved, then of course you’d be welcome to return the HAT to us for replacement.

Before chalking it up as a fail, try:

sudo python3 ./update.py

Sorry it took so long to get a reply. It’s always worth pinging support, or sending a DM on the forums if your reply goes unanswered. The forums are tricky to keep on top of.

I will try that and see what happens. Thank you.

I finally was able to get to try this and it fails and loops. Every line item gives a BLOCK OK.
At end of each sequence of successful BLOCK update the result is as follows.:
Finishing update…
Finishing update failed!
Retrying…
b’LL0:100.14;p:HillstarV01 ;;i:B;f:25000;s:Beta2r1059:MO;c:MKI;t:2013/11/13 11:48:\x00\x00\x00\x00U\xaa\x90e \x80\x0f\x00\x00\x00\x00\xfa\xfc\x00\x00’
Starting loader update…
Loader update failed!
Retrying…

How are you connecting the Skywriter, and onto what type of Pis? Additional question: what type of power supply are you using?

Pins are soldered to pi as delineated on the pin out diagram…resoldered(or heated to re-melt) to ensure good connection.
Then the pins on ends of these short jumper wires are pushed into the correct sockets on the hat.

Pi zero w is used

Power supply is a USB supply made specifically for the pi.

Keep in mind, the hat worked perfectly. Then after a command line shutdown of the pi…and a reboot the next day, the issue illustrated at first post above began to happen.

There must be a connection issue. Can you please post a picture?

Also, how many ground lines have you used? Try to link additionals.