Skywriter XL - Erratic Behaviour Of X/Y Coordinates, Gesture Recognition, Touch & Tap Detection

I bought a Skywriter XL from PiHut at the beginning of the month and finally got round to using it yesterday. I am using it with a Pi Zero 2W, i found the library available on Github and installed the requirements before running the test.py example.

The script starts without any errors and prints out the starting x,y,z values as 0.0, then:

• if i place my finger over the board it is picked up but only the z coordinate shows any changes, x and y stay at zero
  • if I touch, tap or double tap the board anywhere nothing is picked up
  • if I flick my finger in the air from left to right it reports 4 flick gestures, one for each possible direction
  • the other gestures are not picked up and the flick gesture is incorrectly reported when trying to use any of the other gestures

I also have an Arduino UNO available to test with, i managed to get setup easily enough and the board behaves like so when interacting with it:

• x,y,z coordinates are picked up and reported in the serial monitor however the x and y coordinates only work for a section of the board, roughly from the GND pin to the beginning of the word “skywriter” for x and doesnt work for the bottom 1/4 of the height of the board for y. The z coordinate works in all areas of the board, even within the areas that x and y dont get reported
  • tapping or touching N/S/E/W registers as a touch and does seem to differentiate between the 4 sides
  • the airwheel and flick gestures seem to be picked up and reported

I have a support ticket open with PiHut however with it being the weekend i dont think i’ll get a response until monday. I have seen multiple other threads across the forums and Github that show how to update the firmware for the Skywriter, would this be the next recommended troubleshooting step ?

I can provide photos of the wiring, example output from the terminal/serial monitor and videos if required.

I have updated the firmware following the instructions available here (as requested by PiHut support) and unfortunately the board behaves exactly the same for the Pi and the Uno.

@gadgetoid could you possibly take a look at this please ?