Streaky inkyphat

Fantastic, thanks for the update. Look forward to progress :)

I sorely miss my inky little friend at my desk, it told me how long it was until the next bus home.

We’ve put together a blog post on Inky pHAT, and what’s been going on for the past few months. We hope you’ll find it interesting, open, and informative!

3 Likes

So what library do I use with the original Inky pHat? The original one, if still available or the new one?

The new one should work interchangeably with the old and new Inky pHATs.

1 Like

Good news. But worrying to read about the 100,000 refresh cycles.

So, if I had it refresh every 15 seconds for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week - I’d have to buy a new Inky Phat every 52 working days? :-O

For such frequent updates, i.e. in the order of < 60 seconds, something like a regular LCD display would be better suited, for sure. I’d suggest a refresh every 15 minutes or so would be sensible, and would work well for the examples we have like the calendar, weather, and name badge examples, i.e. you probably wouldn’t need/want to refresh any more frequently than that.

This is true. I was using mine for a finance ticker, updating a few times a minute. I appreciate a LCD would be better, but the Inky had a size and a resolution that met the sweet spot for the data I wanted to display. I’ll give it a go and see how long it lasts. Don’t worry, if I burn it out I won’t send it back for a refund!

For what it’s worth, in our long-term tests thus far, these new displays are very robust.

Will you replace our faulty Inky pHAT with one of these newer displays?

Sure. As soon as we have new stock in the New Year. Pop an email to support@pimoroni.com and we’ll get it sorted out. :-)

1 Like

Well that wasn’t in stock very long this morning! :-(

Oh it’s back. I got the email saying it was in stock, and it showed out of stock. But now it says in stock again. Ordered. Cheers.

Woot! My replacement has arrived! Awesome! - Is there any guidance on the number of display cycles before the screen starts to degrade?

If it’s a new one, then there should be no issue with display degradation as seen with the original model, certainly within the same timeframe. We’ve had displays running and refreshing constantly for several weeks - so tens of thousands of refreshes - with no ill effects.

So, the advice is to use and abuse it in any way you see fit. :-)

Ahh is that my inkyphat that I posted back at the bottom of the photo with 3 on them? That’s exactly how mine failed even down to the date and time!

Replacement one still seems to be holding up for now, I guess it’s still possible it could go in the future, good that there’s been a redesign though to avoid it happening again :-)

Looks like my replacement is failing now. Vertical stripes on the far left of the screen.

Yikes @finisterre - drop me a PM with your order number and I’ll get a replacement to you ASAP.

The old-model replacement I got is now going streaky now too :-(

It was inevitable :( Ping support@pimoroni.com for a new-model replacement!

1 Like

Replacement received and back up and running :-)

1 Like