Trouble with Pirate Audio install

Hi let me start by saying I don’t know much of anything when it comes to coding or troubleshooting problems when they arise with the Raspberry Pi. I am new to this. I purchased a Pi Zero W and the Pirate Audio pHat (one with 3.5 line out) to build a portable boom box. I figured after reading through the directions I would be able to get it done. I had no problem getting the Rasbian Buster loaded on the Pi and made it through the first section, installing Mopidy. I then ran into problems, after installing Mopidy I rebooted the Pi but did not get a message with the ip or whatever on the Pirate Audio’s screen. I am not sure where to go from here. I would hate to get discouraged so soon, but I have lots of time on my hands right now so I’d love to figure this thing out. If someone could point me in the right direction I’d really appreciate it.
Let me add that I do see a Mopidy heading in the startup menu under Sound & Video. Also I see in the Add / Remove Software section it shows a check mark at “extensible music server” mopidy-3.0.2-1
Thanks,
Ed

I have made a little progress, I started over. Fresh install, of Rasbian Buster checked my soldering of the header, corrected a few questionable pins and I had the same issue. I started exploring the folders and in the mopity folder there are a few test files for the little display, I was able to get those test files to work. So now I just have to figure out how to connect to the little guy with my iMac and load the music.

My best advice is to just keep at it. I’ve had my share of head banging over the years. But I have to tell you, the satisfaction you get when it all works far outweighs the frustration of getting there. For me it does anyway.
I have one of the original pHat Beat based Pirate Radios. Knock on wood, it’s been running for years now with no issues. It’s still running Jessie, or maybe Stretch, can’t remember the last time I had to redo it? I’m only streaming a Classic Rock station from the Internet though. I’m not playing any local files etc. This Radio see’s almost daily use. I just press the On button and relax to my tunes. =)

Thanks for the advise, I think I have it figured out, it seems to be working fine. My question now is do I have to log into it from another computer every time I want to play music? I was under the impression I would be able to turn it on and it would connect to Spotify or the local files on its own without me having to tell it what files to run from a separate device every time.

Mine plays an internet stream automatically on boot up. Mine is running VLC Radio though and it knows what stream I want based on the playlist I added. I hit the one on button and after a short wait it starts playing my classic rock. I don’t do any of the fancy stuff. Simple needs for simple people < lol’s at self. =)

that sounds great, I will look into VLC Radio. I was just looking at Pi MusicBox since it plays Spotify and I just purchased a subscription there to play with this. Thanks for passing along the info.

Mine is based on this

I just made my own case out of a recycled sub woofer box.
And went the Internet radio route.

There are links to Spotify and AirPlay instructions in the first link I posted.

https://mopidy.com/. might be a starting place that you already tried,but I’ll post it anyway…good luck…