USB adaptor for Pi Zero

Is the larger USB connector on the adaptor CAB0225 or CAB0234 a plug or a socket? It doesn’t say in the description but it looks like a plug.

I’m trying to work out how to connect a mouse and keyboard to a Pi Zero and since it only has one USB port I’ll have to use a hub. I’ve got a Raspberry shaped hub for the Pi but this uses one of those square sockets like you see on printers to connect to the computer. I’ve only got cables from this type of socket to ordinary large USB plugs. I will need a small plug to large socket adaptor or a small plug to square plug cable to connect it.

All these different types of USB connectors are a nightmare on what is supposed to be an easy to use “standard” interface.

The Pi Zero uses a Micro USB jack for power and Data. This is what i use with my Pi Zero’s, no adapter needed.

The adapter in this kit will also work.

I don’t see that adapter listed separately though.

I’ve got a Raspberry shaped hub for the Pi but this uses one of those square sockets like you see on printers

The technical term for that is a Type B. Type B is basically a dead standard now, and I don’t think those Pi-shaped USB hubs have been made for a while.

I’ve only got cables from this type of socket to ordinary large USB plugs

Those are Type A.

Both the CAB0225 and CAB0234 are Type A male, so not what you’re looking for. As Alphanumeric said, your best bet is the adaptor in the Pi Zero Adaptor Kit. I use one of those for a USB ethernet connector, they’re not too long and work fine.

This one will do what the one in the kit does.

Thank you both for the information. For now I’ll go with plan B (which I just thought up). When the stuff arrives I’ll put the noobs micro-SD in a Pi 3, start it up and enable the VNC service. Then I’ll move the micro-SD to the Pi Zero and see if it starts with VNC enabled. I don’;t know if this will work, maybe initializing Raspbian on a Pi 3 will configure it so it doesn’t work on a Pi Zero. Just in case I’ll wishlist those things you mentioned and order one if I need it.

As well as the hub I’ve got a printer/scanner and a couple of music keyboards that use the type B connector. If that is now dead I’d better take care of the cables I’ve got for them, I’ve got a couple of old devices that use yet another type of USB plug, the one that is smaller than type A but not as small as the one on the Pi Zero. I haven’t seen any of those for a long time and I’ve only got one working cable.