Can't get Mote Host to work on macOS

My Mote host (with one light strip connected to it) is currently plugged into my Mac and running this:
import mote my_mote = mote.Mote()

results in this:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/~/Desktop/mote_control.py", line 3, in <module> my_mote = mote.Mote() File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/mote/__init__.py", line 38, in __init__ raise IOError("Unable to find Mote device") OSError: Unable to find Mote device

Not sure where to go from here. I’m using Python 3.6.1 and got mote and pyserial from pip just a moment ago.
What do I do to get this working?

I’m really not sure whether it would work under Python 3.6, we’d have to check.

… That said, have you tried it on a Pi, or trying to run the Mac demo located in our repo to ensure the hardware function normally otherwise?

Make sure you use the right port on the host, and that your Mac can see it.

I believe you can look for USB devices in Terminal with: ls /dev/tty.USB* but my Apple-fu is a little rusty.

Just tried the Mac demo, but it fails with the same “unable to find device” message.
I’ve been trying to get it to work on a Pi, but I haven’t been able to compile Python 3.6 yet, so I’ll report back once that’s done.

Alright, got it to work on the Pi. It seems that it’s just the Mac version that doesn’t work.

What model of Mac, what version of OSX?

This is on a Hackintosh mimicking a Late 2015 Retina iMac running macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

Eeek, that may be tricky to re-create :D

I’m going to guess it’s something to do with the Python serial library and Sierra, but that’s a guess at best. I’ve got access to a Mac to test with, but no Mote at the moment. I’ve got looking into this on my TODO list when I have the bits to hand, though.