Mote | OSError: Unable to find Mote device

Hello Folks,

I just received my two Mote kits and wanted to give them ago. However, whenever I instantiate a Mote class, I get the following error:

OSError: Unable to find Mote device

Here’s the whole of what I’ve done:

Python 3.5.2 |Anaconda custom (x86_64)| (default, Jul  2 2016, 17:52:12)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 4.2 (clang-425.0.28)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> from mote import Mote
>>> mote = Mote()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Users/simon-claudius/anaconda/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mote/__init__.py", line 32, in __init__
    raise IOError("Unable to find Mote device")
OSError: Unable to find Mote device
>>>

Any ideas how I can get to the bottom of this?

I’m running this on OSX 10.11.6 in Python 3.5.2. Mote’s version is 0.0.1

Take care,
Simon-Claudius

have you installed pyserial? I don’t think the setup file enforces the dependency, but it won’t function without it!

I have (version 2.7).

not sure… I’ll have to try, I don’t think I have tested python3 on the Mac.

FYI, Raspberry Pi is shipping with Python 3.4 so that is the only environment this is seriously tested and coded in. So, I would try under Python 2.7 to make sure the hardware works first and foremost.

Weirdly enough, Mote is listed in the connected devices:

Mote USB Dock:

Product ID: 0x08c4
      Vendor ID: 0x16d0
      Version: 1.00
      Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
      Manufacturer: Pimoroni Ltd
      Location ID: 0x14200000 / 4
      Current Available (mA): 1000
      Current Required (mA): 500
      Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

you can also try my demo: https://github.com/RogueM/mote/tree/testing/python/demo/macosx

… it’s a self-contained Python 2.7 environment packaged with PyInstaller that has been tested on OSX 10.9 through to 10.12. If you get the Mote sticks to work then at least you can rule out a problem with the host (though if you got 2 it’s unlikely both would be be DOA).

The demo runs perfectly fine.

OK, I just tried and it works here on Python 3.5.2 (under 10.12), but that’s with pyserial 3.1.1, which is what is available on pypi.

… how have you installed pyserial? It should work with pyserial 2.6/2.7 but perhaps there is a bug under Python3.5?

1 Like

Okay, so anaconda doesn’t seem to distribute pyserial 3.1.1. not even when using pypi. I now installed 3.1.1. via pip and everything works. Blinking lights everywhere!

Thanks a bunch :).

1 Like