Flex cable

Hi Everybody.

I bought my raspberry pi 5 about 10 days ago.
I’ve had problems where there would be kernel panic every now and then.
I have a friend with exactly the same setup and no problems.

We tested the m2 on his setup, everything was ok.
We tested his power supply on mine and mine still did kernel panics.
We tested my nvme board on his setup and we had problems.
It was then that I noticed that the flex cable has a tiny bubble on it which looked like a fracture on a wire.
I tested his flex on mine and everything works ok, tested my flex again and kernel panics every now and then.

What I was wondering is… are extra cables publicly available anywhere?
I live in the South of the UK if that is of any concern related to availability.

Thanks.

You mean these? → PCIe Flex Cable for NVMe Base and Raspberry Pi 5 - PCIe Pipe 35mm

1 Like

I thought I had gone over every item in the shop. Thank you very much. Ordered 10 of them. As I am getting 5 more pi5+nvme.

To be fair, I think they only just listed them - I only knew to look because they mentioned it on twitter :)

2 Likes

Hi All.
Just got the ordered flex cables today. (Very fast delivery in UK).

I wanted to confirm the flex was faulty, as soon as I exchanged the flex, I’ve had no errors since this morning.
And the speed is stable at ~800MB R/W.
And currently I’ve had no kernel crashes.

The story.
I’ve just bought the pi5 + the base and an m2 driver.
Every few hours the pi5 would do a kernel crash, and I had unstable R/W speeds to the drive.
I originally thought the PI5 might have been faulty, so I borrowed pi5 + m2hat from my friend.
I tested different combinations until I found one that was 100% stable. And it came down to the m2 pimoroni hat being the problem.
It was 50/50 if the hat was faulty or the flex cable. But then I noticed something like a bump in the flex cable. ahnlak kindly helped me find the link to the flex cables. They were ordered 2 days ago and received today. Changed on the board and everything seems to be working 100% and stable speeds.

For anyone having kernel crashes with the hat but not with the sd card, just try a new flex cable as that is the least expensive option.

1 Like