Graphics on Pico Display - Tutorial

I was just about to ask that same question. Downloaded and saved for future use. Thanks Tony and Shoe. Insert thumbs up smiley here. =)

Shoeā€¦I have received an email back from Pimoroni about my problem and they6 say that the reply was delayed due to ā€œworking through a very high volume of support ticketsā€ so they do seem to have an active support departmentā€¦

Shoe, Thanks for the pointer to the ā€œFlash_Nuke.uf2ā€ downloadā€¦sounds like a suicide pill for use as as a last resortā€¦scary. But somehow I do not think that that will solve my problem. My ā€œPico Display Packā€ ,which exhibits the problem of a residual sketch still existing in the Display buffer and a new ā€œDemoā€ sketch ā€œunderlayingā€ the residual sketch. The Pico Display Pack is connected to the Pico MCU via the Pimoroni Omnibus Pack. I have swapped Picoā€™s back and too on the Omnibus and the problem still persists so,ā€¦ to my mindā€¦the problem lies in the buffer memory of the Pico Display Pack, not the Pico MCU ā€œflashā€ memory. What I think I need is something to ā€œblastā€ just the Display Pack ā€œflash memoryā€ā€¦does that sound logical to you??

I will be ordering one or more of those Captain Resseti reset buttons. I have a button with female jumper leads on it that I can use with my Omnibus for now. No having to unplug the USB.
Iā€™m no expert on this, but my guess is certain parts of the PICO get configured a certain way when you run one file, and some of that doesnā€™t get undone when you run a second file. Not without a reset. Best guess anyway.

I ā€œthinkā€ the flash_nuke.uf2 just puts it back to the ā€œout of the boxā€ state? Ready for you to decide it you want to go C+, Micro Python, or Circuit Python by flashing a new uf2.
Thatā€™s my read on it, I donā€™t see it doing any harm.

So the Display pack doesnā€™t have any flash itself, the RAM in the display driver should get wiped when the board is reset (it needs power to hold the data). However, Iā€™ve been doing a bit of graphics work on the Pico Explorer, and occasionally I end up in an odd situation where saving new programs just doesnā€™t seem to work and it keeps runing the old program. Backing up the programs and nuking the file system seems to undo it.

Iā€™m getting possible ā€˜reliabilityā€™ problems with my explorer. Iā€™m using it most of the day and as time goes on I get random pixels, mainly at the bottom but occasionally at the top and Thonny and the Pico stop talking to each other.

I unplug the big end of the USB cable at the PC end. Pulling/pushing the small end in Pico is just asking for trouble.

Yes, Iā€™ve been getting something similar Tony. Iā€™m not sure if this is an issue with MicroPython, the Pico, or the Explorer, but somewhere, something is going wrong.

I bought one the of the Captain Resetti boards exactly because I didnā€™t want to be putting a lot of wear on the USB port. Iā€™m really surprised the Pico doesnā€™t come with one, itā€™s super useful.

Iā€™ve got my Pico attached to a very cheap 3 port USB hub on my desk. Iā€™m just using the middle USB at the moment. Iā€™ve had to unplug and re-plug hundreds of times in the last week so Iā€™ll see how long that middle USB port lasts. My soldering is rubbish right now so wonā€™t be getting a Captain Resetti until much later although Iā€™m thinking of just breaking down a USB data cable and putting a reset switch into that instead.

You can get USB cables with power switches in them, you just have to make sure its a Data cable and not just power.