HDMI 8" LCD Screen Kit (800x600) Issue

Hi,

My HDMI 8" LCD Screen Kit arrived today. I have followed all the instructions correctly as far as connecting the wires but once connected to my Raspberry pi and powered up not a lot happens.

A blue screen appears for a few seconds and then the screen goes blank like it isn’t switched on. If I press a button on the control board the blue screen reappears for a few seconds before going blank again.

Hi,

I’ve been looking at your support ticket and trying to remember the magic secret sauce ritual you have to conduct after setting up the screen in order to get it working. Sorry for the delay.

Aha! Have you tried this, from right at the bottom of the learning portal article ( http://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/picade/build ):

Hi All,

I’ve too had the same experience. When I plug this into a Pi2 (running Pixel) I get a few seconds of blue screen then nothing. When I move the SD card, HDMI and USB power to a new Pi3 it works as expected.

I’ve also got another of these screens running from a Pi1.2B (Picade) without problems.

Regards,
Mark

A little update just to make the post a little clearer. I’m using an Rpi2 with this screen and ran the following command to get it working as expected:

sudo echo "hdmi_force_hotplug=1" >> /boot/config.txt

Stealing the thread. I have two LCD’s and connected them as in tutorial (to Rpi 3), but all I get is a bit of blinking once every few seconds and that is it. It doesn’t show start screen and I added hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to config.txt

Any ideas what is the issue?

Sounds like a power issue, how are you powering your setup?

I was using 5V/1A power supply.

I have tried a separate power supply for the LCD and it works. So it doesn’t work if I use USB port on the Rpi 3.
What is the recommended power supply to use USB port to power LCD?

Use an official 5V 2.5A power supply, 1A is about adequate to power just the Pi itself- bearing in mind that power supplies - cheap ones in particular - don’t always deliver the amperage/voltage they claim.