Kernal Panic on Shutdown after Hat install

Hello, everyone. I’ve come to see if I can get any help with a problem I am having with the Picade Hat. I have my picade all set up and it runs beautifully… until it comes time to shut down. Either using the power button, or shutting down the system from inside retropie is giving me a Kernal Panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init error. I tried a clean install of retropie and everything works fine until I install the picadehat with curl https://get.pimoroni.com/picadatehat | bash. Once that is installed, the error when shutting down appears again. Any ideas what it could be?

Having the same problem:

From what I was told from email support, it is a problem with the latest version of Raspian and the PicadeHat software. They are aware of the problem, and can replicate it, so might see an update eventually

1 Like

Does anybody if there is a fix for this yet?

As a workaround you could use an older version of Raspbian.
You can get them here,
Index of /raspbian/images (raspberrypi.org)
Download the one you think will work, then use the “use custom” option in the Pi Foundation imaging tool.

Was there any fix for this apart from downgrading Raspbian, which I don’t fancy doing? I’m also wondering - do new owners of a Picade not have this problem straight out of the box in 2023?

Safe shutdown worked fine for me when I did a Picade install a few weeks ago - what kind of Pi do you have and which version of Retropie are you running?

1 Like

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB, running RetroPie 4.8.2. I did an update this week to see if it helped fix it as I haven’t used it for awhile.

That’s good to know it does/can work on a fresh Picade. I’m sure I’ve had this problem since day one (Sep 2021) of getting it. However I can’t be sure if I updated any software before my first ever shutdown.

When I get time, I will see if doing a fresh install on a new memory card solves it.

1 Like

OOh, interesting. I’ll give this a try, too. Thanks, guys!

I did a full format and re-install of the latest RetroPie last night, and after installing the Hat software, still getting the Kernal Panic on shutdown :(

In answer to rich1009, if all new Picade owners have this problem I would expect more posts in here reporting it and looking for solutions.

I’m running RetroPie 4.7.1, and when I shut down, the last message on the screen is “Stopping Restore / save the current clock…”, and then the system powers off. I don’t get any of the messages that start with the numbers. Can anyone who has a 4.8.2 install that shuts down correctly tell us the last message they get on screen just before the system powers off.

ok, so I tried a fresh install of Retropie 4.7.1 instead of the latest version.

Once installed it would not let me curl the picadehat software, throwing an error when I tried… so I searched around and found a similar problem, saying I had to sudo apt-get --allow-releaseinfo-change update and then it would work.

So ran the update, and curl’d the picadehat software… it worked fine… BUT, the Kernal Panic on shutdown still happens.

this is getting frustrating :(

I don’t have a Picade hat, but took a peek at the README on the GitHub repo (which had its last update 4 years ago). Both reports here are Pi4s, so it may be specific to the BCM2711. The dtoverlay=picade line in /boot/config.txt, and any following dtparam= lines configure the kernel software for the hat.

You might add a dtparam=nopoweroff line, right after the dtoverlay=picade line, to disable the poweroff button, then see if the shutdown in picade still causes a panic.

You could also comment out the picade overlay lines, which should disable the software for the hat completely (not a solution, just a test), then just go through a boot cycle and shutdown, to see if you can avoid the panic after the SW install.

The results might be useful once a Pimoroni engineer has a chance to look…

1 Like

I’ll give this a try tonight, and report back

I’m still seeing the SAME THING, 3 1/2 YEARS later. But I am wondering if this actually isn’t a problem. The display does indicate “Power Down” then after several seconds the Panic. I’m thinking the system is powered down and safe by the time the “Power Down” messgage is displayed. The panic may occur because some event occurs (like maybe an interrupt) that causes the kernel to access the BCM2711, which by then has been closed/marked off. Thus the panic, which may actually be no big deal?

Raspi 4B with Retro-Pi 4.8 on top of Buster 5.10.103-v71+

Yeah, still seeing the same issue here, all these years later :(

I’ve still not seen this on my Picade (with a Pi 4 and Retropie 4.8) 🤔

I wonder if this closed Github issue is relevant - could be worth checking boot/config.txt for rogue/competing dtoverlay entries?

It doesn’t look like there are any issues regarding this specific bug currently - perhaps someone encountering this issue could create one so that our software team can take a look (please include a screenshot/text of the error, your Pi OS/Retropie version and the contents of your config.txt if you do).

I have screenshots at the top of this post, with all the error codes.

Thanks! The closed issue didn’t offer any solution. So, I submitted a new issue on GitHub. Once it is resolved I will share my solution here.

'Sig

1 Like

Nice, thanks you, that is awesome