Picade 8" LCD does not work

Hello, my brand new Picade 8" build LCD is very dim - I can almost not read it. Using the menu on the keypad and my phone camera to read the text, I can see that the brightness is at max value. The LCD seems faulty - how can I get a replacement?

Hello @ntheath

You can reach support via this webpage: Contact Us for Raspberry Pi Technical Support - Pimoroni

Or via email: support@pimoroni.com

Cheers,
Mad_Monk

Thanks @Mad_Monk. I have sent a note to the support email address. I also reached out to Adafruit where I bought the kit and they copied support too.

Need more info ( I do anyway ). What model Pi and what power supply are you using?
Have you tried plugging it (the HDMI cable) into a different device, a PC or another Pi?
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Hello @alphanumeric, sorry - here you go:

Problem statement: the LCD appears very washed out, almost unreadable. I didn’t even realize that the little boxes said “no signal” and “DVI or HDMI” until I took a picture of them using my phone camera (which enhanced the image). When I booted my Pi, I can see it fly by and then emulation station starting. But again, its really hard to read. I checked the LCD menu settings via the keypad and found that brightness is already maxed out by default. Not sure what is up. It has the appearance of a 15 year old LCD monitor that has seen better days.

Details:
-RPI3+
-official RPI USB C power supply
-yes, tried another video source and it doesn’t improve the quality
-yes, tried another HDMI cable, no improvement
-yes, have the config.txt line for HDMI uncommented (which did fix the no signal problem)
-hooked up RPI to a separate monitor and it works fine
-Tried external 5V just for the LCD driver board, no improvement

1 Like

OK, thanks for that, I’d say it’s a hardware defect then.