Pico Pi not reading UF2 file correctly

I have my Pico Pi working - it reads and runs code from shell and Script location just fine (LED blinks every 2 sec. using that example).

I plug in the Pimoroni display for the Pico Pi and the LED lights up just fine after inserting it into my USB plug on my Windows 10 machine.

When loading the custom Pimorono UF2 file, I lose the D: drive while it loads the UF2 file into the Pico Pi on my Windows machine. I suspect this is norm. However, the Pico Pi does not boot back up to a D: drive after the UF2 install. Ok, maybe I hafe to unplug and reboot this.

I then unplug this Pico Pi + Pimoroni (snapped together), while pressing the Bootsel button and plugging it back into the USB port, it reads the Pico into a D: drive but does not find the custom Pimoroni UF2 file, only the original UF2 file.

I’ve flushed the SSD memory using the flash_nuke.uf2 file and that seems to clean things up - it even boots back up to the D: drive when i install it, unlike above.

Any suggestions. It feels like a Kafka novel or Catch-22.

That is exactly what happens with my Pico on Windows 10 w.r.t the Explorer. I’m pretty sure that this particular library is meant to work that way. Are you sure that the original uf2 is running and not the new one?

After the change of UF2 file do not hold the button when you plug back in. You cannot see the Pico drive in file explorer when it is working properly with Thonny.

What @Tonygo2 said. You only use Boot Select to drag and drop the uf2 file. After that you just plug it in without holding the button. If you have set the interpreter in Thonny to Micro Python(Raspberry Pi Pico) you can run your code on it from Thonny. No need to save it to the PICO unless you want it to auto run on the PICO when it boots up.

I will give that a try. Thank you

Greta feedback. Thank you. I will give this a try.

I tried this exactly as recommended:

• Pressed Boot Select and plugged in module to USB port
  • D: file with UF2 file loaded Windows 10
  • dragged and dropped (loaded) new customer Pimorono-pico-micropython.UF2 file into the D: drive
  • D: drive disappears
  • unplugged and replugged module into USB port
  • No drive can be read

Tried steps above but erasing the original UF2 file just to be sure
Same result.

There must be some simple step I am missing.

Why does this have to be so complicated? Arduino is dirt simple and always works.

I tried this exactly as recommended:

Pressed Boot Select and plugged in module to USB port
D: file with UF2 file loaded Windows 10
dragged and dropped (loaded) new customer Pimorono-pico-micropython.UF2 file into the D: drive
D: drive disappears
unplugged and replugged module into USB port - DID NOT press Boot Select button
No drive can be read

Tried steps above but erasing the original UF2 file just to be sure
Same result.

There must be some simple step I am missing.

Got it to work. I don’t need to see the d: drive, just plug it in after loading the new UF2 from Pimoroni, load the code, good to go.

Yes, the D drive cannot be seen unless the Pico is in Bootsel mode and prior to a uf2 being dropped into it. This is when using the Pimoroni library. Other libraries can behave differently. You don’t need to unplug and re-plug after the D drive disappears. The uf2 will start running on the Pico as soon as it is loaded.

I pointed that out earlier!

Yeah, It’s normal for it to disappear when you drop the uf2 onto it. It reboots automatically, and since the button isn’t pressed it drops out of boot mode. That’s a good thing actually.
What will confuse a lot people is it not having to be visible as a drive, to be tinkered with. Thonny will see it and be able to run code on it just fine when its plugged in normally without holding the boot select button. Once you get over that its game on.
And you can save your code to it that way, from Thonny. Do a “save as” and the Pico will show up as an option. Even though its not in boot mode.

Yes, I should have read that twice. Thanks for the advice.

@Pythonmike we are all in a learning experience with the PICO. ;)
Some more than others, me included. =)