Pirate Audio amp alsamixer: no controls

I am trying to use the Pirate Audio 3W amplifier to play audio files, not using mopidy, but aplay or cvlc.

However, I seem to run into an issue that I can’t figure out how to solve. When I run alsamixer it says “This sound device does not have any controls.”. Any idea how I can get around that?

I already tried looking into /etc/asound.conf, but I’m a bit unsure what should be in that file for the volume control to work.

Similar problem here, only with the Pirate Audio Speaker. When I run alsamixer it also says: This sound device does not have any controls. It says Card: snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac, which is the one I set in /boot/config.txt by putting dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac.

I’m listening to a internet radio stream and I have sound, but the little speaker is at max. volume. I would like to change my python script in a way that I’m able to change the volume with the buttons. I did some research but couldn’t find anything that works.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this?
Everything I find regarding VLC doesn’t work somehow, and since alsamixer doesn’t even work the way it should I guess it also wouldn’t work in my Python script.